Hop Yard Technician
Sierra Nevada Brewing CompanyApply for Job
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. has a unique and exciting opportunity for a passionate and knowledgeable agriculture professional to join our team as a HOP YARD TECHNICIAN. This role focuses on all aspects of Organic Estate Hop production from planning, cultivating, and harvesting to chemical applications and more. This role is designed to introduce you to our organic and sustainable agricultural practices, the challenges we face with our Estate Hop Yard, the ideas we have and the resources to get there. To be successful in this role you need a strong crop production foundation, a desire to learn from the team and a passion for the Sierra Nevada brand.
Please Note: The anticipated schedule for this position will be weekdays 5 AM - 1:30 PM in summer, 6 AM - 2:30 PM through winter and seasonal variation depending on crop and department needs.
- This position will be responsible for accomplishing daily/weekly work load in the Estate Hop yards.
- Works with Agriculture Manager and brewing department to determine acreage to be farmed, and varieties and quantities to be grown. Maintains productive communication with ag department management and brewers for hop needs/delivery.
- Attaches farm implements such as chisel, disc, Weed Badger, air blast sprayer, and Soller harvester to tractor. Operates tractor in and around hop yards to till soil and plant and cultivate crops.
- Drives and operates farm machinery to till soil, plant cover crops, apply organic fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides, and oversees hop harvesting.
- Maintains irrigation systems and irrigates hop yards.
- Assists in coordination of any necessary hop field infrastructure and maintenance.
- Demonstrates and explains farm work techniques and safety regulations to new workers.
- Lubricates, adjusts, and makes minor repairs on farm machinery, implements and equipment.
- Assists in decision making concerning when and how to transplant, cultivate, fertilize, irrigate, and harvest the Organic Estate Hops.
- Assists in selection and purchase of planting stock and farm machinery, implements, and supplies as needed.
- Acts as back up in other Agriculture team roles, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A consistently positive attitude and ability to work closely with agriculture department management and brewing department employees, and other departments involved in our team atmosphere.
- Ability to maintain farm area aesthetics with help of interns/staff
- Ability to keep equipment cleaned after use
- Ability to learn hop yard yearly work to meet brewing and field health needs
- Ability to work alone or with crew members with minimal supervision
- Ability to learn about organic input use as related to hop yard needs
- Knowledge of irrigation timers/system to be able to make adjustments, changes and repairs
- Ability to operate power tools, forklifts, personnel lifts, back-hoe, tractors, and implements with minimal supervision and in a safe manner
- Ability to work flexible hours during peak production and harvest times
Education & Experience
- Previous experience in crop production, including chemical applications preferred
- Experience with organic practices preferred
- Hands on hop yard production experience preferred
- Previous experience with tractor/heavy equipment required
- A degree in agriculture preferred
- Agriculture chemical application certification preferred
- Preference will be given to qualified candidate who currently holds either a valid Agriculture chemical application certification or qualified applicator license
- Must obtain a qualified applicator license within 12 months of start date (training materials are available and exam fees are covered)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment will fluctuate and will require hearing protection and safety glasses during various operations. Must be comfortable working at heights of 20’. Must be able to work in all weather conditions throughout the year.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to lift up to 60 pounds without assistance, and maneuver 100 pounds safely and with proper body mechanics. Daily work can involve standing, kneeling, climbing, bending at the waist, repetitive hand and arm movements, climbing off and on tractors, and sitting for extended periods on tractors. Walking and working in uneven field conditions and working at heights of 20’. During the production season there will be night time work completing pest control operations.
Additional REQUIREMENTS to consider
- Selected candidate must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check and driver's license check
- MUST have a valid Driver’s License with an exemplary driving record free of any major violations in the last three years
- You must be at least 21 years of age to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Occasional travel required, primarily to hop growing areas/conventions for continuing education
**This recruitment will remain open until filled; applications will be reviewed regularly**
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer