Detroit Head Brewer
Founders Brewing CompanyApply for Job
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Operates, cleans, sanitizes, and organizes all brewing equipment and production areas to world class standards.
· Performs and monitors all beer production including, but not limited to: recipe formulation, ingredient selection, raw material ordering and stocking, wort production, throughout fermentation and cooling, clarification/ageing, carbonation, packaging and performs any and all necessary steps without assistance.
· Works with Brewmaster to determine recipe formulation. Brewmaster review and approval required for all new recipes.
· Works with Brewing, Cellar and Warehouse Teams in GR to have necessary raw materials delivered and available according to schedule. Inventory planning and requesting to be performed via the normal business systems (Obeer).
· Cleans and maintains draft beer dispense systems to world-class standards during non-business hours every 2-3 weeks.
· Works with Packaging Team in GR to arrange for clean kegs to be delivered for manual packaging, or safely operates keg washing equipment to clean and sanitize kegs as needed.
· Works with Yeast Team in GR to ensure yeast is available when needed. Strives to maintain house yeast cultures in optimal health as needed.
· Creates and follows standard operating procedures in the creation of beer to be delivered to the Taproom.
· Inputs data and maintains permanent logs for all brewing procedures.
· Brews, cellars and packages 2-3 times per week.
· Checks and adjusts as necessary all brewing equipment, including minor maintenance.
· Orders all needed raw materials including yeast and clean sterilized kegs through inventory transfer requests from our main brewery or from other approved suppliers.
· Keeps all raw materials stocked, organized, labeled and rotated.
· Packages beer into kegs, cans and bottles as necessary.
· Actively pursues optimization of all processes to increase efficiency, safety, sanitation and quality.
· Reports to and coordinates with the Taproom GM on the daily work schedule including all PTO.
· Engages with Founders retail staff and customers to promote Founders culture and beer educational opportunities.
· Except for specific Taproom GM pre-approval, the work schedule will be from 10-6, M-F but would replace one working day with one Saturday night (noon to 8 pm) per month.
· Assists Detroit TR Management Team with beer ordering, stocking, rotating and dispensing of all non-Detroit made beer.
· Writes beer descriptions for all new beers prior to release to TR.
· Coordinates with the Maintenance department regarding any required servicing of equipment. Some management of outside contractors for maintenance may be required.
· Actively participates in sensory of Detroit beers, and reviews sensory feedback with Brewmaster to improve future brews.
· Completes all required transactions in Orchestrated Beer and any other software programs FBC requires.
· Stays current on industry developments and technology advancements.
· Professionally represents Founders at all times including at industry related events; some travel is required.
Directly supervises one or more employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· HS Diploma or equivalency required.
· Extensive experience in all phases of production brewing required. (Brewing, cellaring, packaging)
· Good candidates must fit in with our enthusiastic and hardworking team environment.
· Must be a great communicator.
· Must possess a mechanical aptitude.
· Candidates should be serious about safety, quality and cleanliness.
· Candidates need to be able to lift up to 100 pounds, be able to twist and turn, be able to reach over your shoulders, and work in standing/walking/ crouching position at a steady pace and love to clean.
· Ability to competently operate a computer.
· Availability to work days, nights, and weekends is necessary.