Business Reporter Covering the Beer Industry for Brewbound.com
BevNET.com, Inc.Apply for this Job
Brewbound, an online trade publication reporting on the beer industry, including craft beer, cider, hard seltzer, other FMBs and ‘beyond beer’ products, is looking for an experienced, hardworking reporter to join our team covering the companies and trends driving this industry. This is a great opportunity for a skilled journalist to show strong writing and reporting chops on a highly visible beat filled with interesting entrepreneurs, innovative products, competitive companies and a fast-paced investment environment.
Applicants must have at least three years of professional journalism experience covering a beat daily, be ready to quickly understand the business of beer, and be eager to make the contacts necessary to develop a working set of sources to widen coverage of the beat. Experience covering a business vertical is a plus.
Please note that this is not a review or recipe site -- the beat is on the business of beer, and everything that goes into making and selling it. Homebrewing, drinking beer, or having hospitality experience are not qualifications for the position.
Brewbound’s purpose is to provide comprehensive, up-to-the-minute information about the beer space, analysis of industry trends, interviews with industry leaders, new product announcements, and exclusive content from beer business events around the country for the benefit of a highly entrepreneurial, growing consumer category. To further that mission, Brewbound also produces a variety of industry conferences through its Brewbound Live business conferences and Brew Talks meetup events. Brewbound is a part of BevNET.com, Inc., the leading media company for the food and beverage industries.
Applicants must be able to work independently to develop sources and stories, be able to think creatively about storytelling in a multimedia environment, and be able to produce a solid mix of breaking news and broader enterprise stories on a consistent, reliable basis. The reporter will be supervised by the Brewbound editor and will have a variety of responsibilities, in addition to day-to-day editing and writing tasks. The ideal candidate must be personable and outgoing, comfortable in media such as video, podcasts, and live events,with excellent professional networking skills and passion.
Preferred location for this position is in Watertown, MA, but we’ll also consider candidates in San Diego, CA (where we also have an office). We cannot hire full time in other states at this time and we’re not considering freelance or part time for the position.
• Filing between 5-10 stories per week, including a mix of breaking news and company, category, product, and individual profiles, trend stories, investigation, state and federal regulatory issues, the three-tier distribution system, and case studies on why brands succeed, fail, or change strategy.
• Gathering and maintaining a database of sources and story ideas -- and pursuing them so that several are capable of being “hatched” at a given time.
• Executing same-day news with perspective, context, and engaging sources beyond a single speaker, when possible. Supplying or locating own sources on an autonomous level.
• Pitching a mix of enterprise and features derived from ongoing stories and new ideas gleaned from sources and research.
• Brainstorming and executing pieces on the craft beer business for BevNET Magazine, our an 6x/year glossy print magazine.
• Proposing potential content for live events and preparing the content and the speakers who are involved in a timely fashion, as well as the announcements and marketing of those segments.
• Screening and posting press release submissions in concert with the Brewbound editor
• Co-hosting or contributing to Brewbound’s industry focused podcast.
• Travel to industry trade shows or to breweries to perform video interviews, as needed
• Journalism (or similar) Bachelor's Degree and at least 3 years of professional journalism experience (marketing, communications, or public relations experience is not a replacement for this)
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong computer skills, ideally with experience using Wordpress, image editing tools, and Google’s suite of products.
• Photography and videography experience a plus
• Superior organizational skills and attention to detail (we use Asana for task management)
• Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to pick up new tasks quickly and work with minimal supervision
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience + other standard benefits
• Casual, results-oriented work environment
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Brewbound is published by BevNET.com, Inc., which is the leading media company serving the non-alcoholic beverage, craft beer, and natural food industries., We produce a variety of products including digital content, video, print, and live events. While we've been in business for over 20 years, BevNET is still a young company that works hard and has fun doing it. Our work environment is casual and laid back and our team is tightly knit and focused on growth.
INTERESTED? HERE'S HOW TO APPLY:
If you're interested in applying, please follow these instructions carefully: Please apply with your resume, cover note, and salary requirements. In your cover note, please tell us about an aspect of the beer business that you find interesting at this point in time.
IMPORTANT: WE DO NOT USE RECRUITERS AND ARE NOT LOOKING TO OUTSOURCE THIS POSITION. Third-party inquiries will not receive a response. Thank you for your cooperation.