Dancing Cider - South KoreaApply for this Job
Dancing Cider Company is a cidery based in Chungju, South Korea and is on a mission to spread cider throughout the peninsula, focusing on quality cider and craft culture. Incorporated in September 2018, the company completed cidery setup in January 2019 and began producing hard cider using local Korean apples in February.
As one of the first ever cideries in Korea, we focus on implementing leading production practices while using locally sourced apples and ingredients to produce unique cider flavors. We currently have two flavors, sweet and semi-dry, and plan to expand the product line going forward.
The current setup includes six 1,000 liter fermenters, two 1,000 liter bright tanks, and a DE & membrane filter system. A crossflow filter will be implemented by late October, and by late November more tanks (approx. 10,000L fermenters and 4,000L brite capacity) will be added.
The production space (approx. 2000 sq ft) is connected to the taproom (approx. 850 sq ft), which is currently closed in order to focus on popup and offline events. The office is on the second floor of the brewery, and as of September 1 there are a total of 5 employees including the two cofounders. The company plans to distribute nationally and in doing so to educate consumers on quality handcrafted cider. To learn more about the company, see our "about us" video.
By the end of 2019, Dancing Cider plans to recruit a Head Cidermaker as well as up to two more employees.
As Head Cidermaker, he or she will plan, manage, and execute all production-related processes with the highest integrity and responsibility. As one of the first cideries in Korea, Dancing Cider will be pioneering the cider industry in a rather centralized alcoholic beverage market, and therefore the Head Cidermaker must be diligent, hardworking, entrepreneurial, passionate, and most importantly, ready to make Korea dance!
Head Cidermaker will work with management to create and formulate new products, optimize and systemize production processes. Passion to build and create will be essential.
• Cider Production, New Product Development
• Production Optimization, Production Floor SOP development
• Quality Control/Assurance, Tasting, data input/analysis
• Production Team Managing, Training & Education
• Equipment maintenance, production line expansion, Packaging
• Inventory management (Ingredients, Packaging Material, Kegs)
• Sales Activities – Taproom Events, Festivals, Pop-ups, Trade shows, Education related events, Cidery tours in English
• Craft Beverage Production skills: Skilled equipment operator with strong attention to details
• Brewing & Cider knowledge: Industry knowledge, especially cidermaking, blending know-how, and fermentation knowledge
• Management skills: A leader who can manage a growing team
• Problem solving skills: Solve production/operation related problems as the company scales
• Office work skills: Working level fluency in basic MS programs (excel, word, PPT, google docs)
• Communication skills: An effective communicator with patience to work with non-native English speakers (i.e. Korean employees)
• Attitude: Passion for making great cider, learning new things, enjoys community involvement
• Experience/education: 3+ years of full time professional cidermaking experience; formal brewing/cider education and/or experience at decent-sized cideries is preferred. Barrel-aging experience preferred.
• Knowledge: Strong knowledge of QC procedures
• Leadership: Looking for a leader who has the patience and communication skills to lead his/her production team.
• Commitment: Expecting a dedicated professional with a minimum commitment of 3 years who can embrace the challenges of living abroad (company will help with transition and beyond)
• Criminal record check required by the Korean law
Salary will be commensurate with your cidermaking as well as management experience. As a company with a growth mindset on a mission to not only promote cider but also to demonstrate viability of commercial success through craft and creativity, we strongly believe in treating employees well and consequently, rewarding them well. We do not believe in paying industry average as we strive to be exceptional.
Head Cidermaker can expect a KRW 60+million salary (USD 50,000 ~ 54,000 depending on exchange rate), bonus, and other perks. There will be an annual salary increase, and sales growth-tied bonus will be available up to more than 100% of annual salary.
• Perks: Lunch, dinner, and snacks provided on work days
• Housing: Apartment (7km from cidery) rent & deposit covered
• Transportation: Company truck available for use, carpool & public transportation available (Possibly company car down the road)
• Vacation: 15 vacation days a year
• VISA: Sponsored
• Stock option: Available
• Monday – Friday and occasional weekend events/festivals/pop-ups
• Hard working startup culture, but flexible work hours depending on production/event schedule
Please submit resume, as well as any questions, to Dae Ro (firstname.lastname@example.org). Application deadline is 10/1/19. Thank you.