VP/Chief Customer Officer
Once Upon A FarmApply for this Job
Position Title: VP/Chief Customer Officer
Reports to: CEO
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Berkeley, CA (but remote OK too)
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
- Once Upon a Farm is a rapidly growing, disruptive, organic food company that helps moms and dads keep their promise to provide the best nourishment for their children’s bodies and souls. Our mission is to nurture our children, each other, and the earth in order to pass along a healthier and happier world for the next generation.
- We craft the purest, most-nutritious and safest foods that will delight children of all ages. We currently offer best-selling lines of cold-pressed, organic baby food, smoothies, and applesauce in 10,000 retail stores in the US and are quickly expanding into other kid food categories.
- We are committed to fighting for and supporting efforts to drive positive social change and food justice for the benefit of moms, kids and families.
- We foster an entrepreneurial and collaborative culture that values humility, honesty, passion, positive social impact, and fun.
- We are looking for teammates who will live our mission and fuel passion in each other to make a positive difference every day.
POSITION SCOPE & PROFILE:
The Chief Customer Officer (CCO) will be responsible for global sales, across all channels of trade, but excluding the company’s direct-to-consumer ecommerce site.
Reporting into the Chief Executive Officer, he/she will lead the sales organization with primary responsibility for all customer partnerships, trade and channel strategies, & merchandising with deep involvement in product portfolio decisions. The CCO will serve as a key member of and contributor to the Executive Leadership Team, contributing to strategic and operational matters and decisions through a close collaboration with peers. The CCO will inherit a fully staffed & high-performing sales organization. In addition to dedicated sales employees, a network of broker support has been established to provide key back office support and call coverage.
The ideal candidate will be recognized as an executive that leads by example and is high energy, hands on and a team player who brings strong experience base across numerous channels and categories. This candidate has a history of being a builder, showing the ability to push an organization and customer base to accept new ways of thinking and operating. This candidate will have a passion for the customer and team and be willing to spend a significant amount of time in the field, while still being comfortable in a board room.
- Complete oversight and accountability for all customer relationships and performance.
- Provide strategic sales oversight and organizational planning and development
- Develop and refine trade strategy across channels and customers. Develop appropriate tracking and
- oversight of trade spending.
- In partnership with our marketing team, develop product, channel, size strategy for all innovation and new products. Providing clear execution and pricing strategies by channel and country.
- Coaching and developing sales organization.
- Participation on Executive Leadership Team, actively contributing to the overall company strategy.
- Build deep strategic & mutually beneficial partnerships with important retailers while expanding distribution into the dairy & baby categories, driving brand leadership, and long-term financial success.
- Spend time in the field, cultivating relationships with key customers.
- Ensure new product launches are successfully integrated into the right channels.
- Bring the voice of the customer internally and provide strong sales team feedback to leadership team and other internal teams to help guide strategy & innovation decisions. Build strong partnership with Marketing and Trade Marketing teams to drive the business forward.
- 15-20 years of experience in sales with food and/or consumer products companies A proven multi-channel wholesale (conventional, mass, club, convenience, drug, e-commerce, specialty retail) food & beverage sales leader with strong operational capability, existing partner relationships, strategic negotiation/ability to influence. Candidate possesses a proven track record of penetrating key retailers at high levels of management with strategic selling and engagement efforts resulting in breakthrough business opportunity and market leading innovation execution.
- Experience working with a smaller food company or entrepreneurial division within a larger company. Ideally, the CCO will have a combination of large CPG training with high growth food or beverage experience in startup or mid-market company.
- Deep dairy and/or baby category experience and retailer relationships is a significant plus.
- Some international experience a bonus, but not required
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Possesses a passion for working with customers.
- Successfully leads and motivates sales organizations.
- Shows strong passion and sense of urgency for reaching targets.
- An empowering collaborative manager. Has demonstrated an ability to recruit, develop, inspire, and lead a team in the achievement of objectives and goals.
- Delegates effectively and monitors the team to ensure they have the skills and resources to meet deadlines and commitments.
- Champions best practices, creative thinking, effective planning, and timely decision-making.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a style that promotes collaboration, discussion, intellectual curiosity and innovation.
- Adopts a long-term perspective, understanding customer segments and the external climate. Develops hypotheses or alternative scenarios of how critical issues will play out beyond the year and uses this to set challenging goals with a future payoff or outcomes.
- Translates business goals into well-defined performance plans for own organization and communicates link between current activities and goals.
- An excellent oral and written communicator. Able to effectively explain and articulate strategic, financial and business fundamentals to a variety of people, with varying degrees of financial and business knowledge, both internally and externally.
- Can engage people across the organization and foster buy-in for new ideas and concepts.
- Respected for business ethics, integrity and commonsense approach.
- Balances a can-do attitude with a pragmatic approach to getting work done in a timely manner.
- Is smart, practical, hard-working and focused on creating value for the Company’s shareholders.
- Rolls-up his/her sleeves and does what it takes to meet objectives.
- Possesses a strong capability to prioritize and focus personal and team activities to drive the best and biggest results. Proven capability to focus on the 80/20 rule to drive differential outcomes.
- Can & will make tough decisions when necessary.
- Passion for natural and organic products
- Proactive self-starter; with sense of urgency to achieve results
- Quick study, flexible and willing to handle a fast paced, ever changing work environment
- Energetic and level-headed, good at problem solving.
- Ability to operate in a team environment with a “can do” attitude
All business activities must be done in a way that underscores the social mission of Once Upon a Farm.
Please email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Chief Customer Officer” in the subject line