Development and Pilot Brewer
The BrueryApply for Job
The Bruery is an award-winning craft brewery established in northern Orange County. We craft flavor-forward, experimental, innovative beers, which we distribute in 29 states, 5 continents, and sell directly to customers through our two Tasting Rooms and three membership Societies. The Bruery encompasses our sub-brand The Bruery Terreux and our hop-focused, endorsed brand Offshoot Beer Co.
About the Job
The Development and Pilot Brewer position is responsible for the execution and presentation of beers produced on our pilot brewhouse in addition to development and execution of ingredient trials, event beers, new concepts, and process improvements.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate with Production Managers and peers to properly execute brewing and finishing tasks per The Bruery standards
- Execute proper sampling and analysis of daily brews in accordance with schedule; cover directly as needed. Monitor vital fermentation critical control points including but not limited to target gravity, pH, temperatures and pressures.
- Responsible for CIP and preparation of yeast propagation, fermentation, bright beer, and intermediate step tanks
- Responsible for raw materials handling and organization up to and including mill operation and grist preparation
- Responsible for wort production on a manual 3 bbl brewhouse; understanding and ability to operate automated 30 bbl brewhouse
- Responsible for finished beer handling including but not limited to carbonation, DO monitoring and recording, and packaging preparation
- Responsible for the packaging of pilot scale beers including but not limited to assisting Production Packaging with overlapping projects
- Responsible for proper handling of yeast propagation including but not limited to inoculation, pitching, topping, aeration and CIP
- Review completed process paperwork and ensure accurate expression in automated accounting system i.e. Orchestrated Beer
- Maintain a clean and tidy work environment
- Communicate clearly and accept communication efforts in a three (3) shift environment
- Maintain and update shift schedule in response to real time production
- Ensure that sensory evaluation is monitored responsibly and results are communicated constructively
- Work closely with Innovation Manager, Production Manager, QA Manager, and peer staff to execute and pass off tasks effectively
- Maintain a sanitary environment, which includes but not limited to cleaning floors, walls, tanks and ceilings.
- Ability to train and support peers in all of the aforementioned tasks
- Participate in company events as needed while maintaining professional composure
- Contribute to sensory program training and development
- Work on a ladder periodically up to height of 18 feet.
- Physically be able to bend over, twist, kneel, climb stairs, stand all day, lift 55+ pounds, work in a non-temperature controlled environment and repeatedly handle hot and cold liquids.
- Able to stand for long periods of time (up to 8-10 hours per day).
- Drive a small truck (regular California Class “C” license required).
- Strictly follow recipes and standard operating procedures while recommending ways of improving them.
- Willingness to work at clean or sour beer facilities as needed
- Willingness to work occasional weekends, holidays and overtime as needed
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are critical in a 24-hour operation
- High School Diploma / GED. Brewing, Engineering, or other related education preferred
- 21 years of age, proof of authorization/eligibility to work in the United States
- Forklift Certified
- Completion of training rotation through cellar and wort production shift duties and/or equivalent education or experience
- Proven ability to perform beyond assigned workload, train and support peers, and employ troubleshooting/critical thinking in appropriate areas.
The Bruery Offers:
- Competitive compensation
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO), Medical, Dental, Vision & Life
- 401k with match
LOTS OF FREE BEER!!
The Bruery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status. The selected candidate must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check and driver license check.