Environmental, Health, and Safety Manager
BoochcraftApply for Job
JOB TITLE: Environmental, Health, and Safety Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Business Operations and Development
LOCATION: San Diego Brewery - Chula Vista, CA 91911
POSITION TYPE: This is a full-time position
TRAVEL: Travel is not expected in this position
SUPERVISES: Not Applicable
KEY COLLABORATORS: The Safety Manager will report to and build a close and trusted relationship with the Administration, Operations, Sales, and Engineering Department Directors
JOB SUMMARY: We are looking for a Safety Specialist to join the team who will support all aspects of site Safety in our production, hospitality, and distribution operations. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: College degree in related field or 3+ year related experience within the Environmental Health and Safety Field is required, including experience implementing and managing company health and safety programs. Brewery experience preferred. Experience in relevant fields, such as chemical manufacturing, petroleum, refinery, or heavy industry may be considered. Must have strong background in project management, data/information/analytics, and ability to effectively engage at all levels of the organization.
- Experience: The ideal candidate will have accounting and office experience in a growth-oriented, innovative CPG company, preferably at the management level. They need not come from within the kombucha or craft brewing industry, however, should be a passionate enthusiast of Boochcraft. An experienced background in accounting or finance is preferred and will be a strong differentiator.
- Management: The ideal candidate will be an effective manager with strong communication and execution skills. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized or new situations. Must be able to maintain and organize large volumes of data in a way that the data can be easily retrieved, reported and understood. Must be able to multitask and prioritize with little direction.
- License or Certification: Must have and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and clean driving record. Google G-Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Specialized Skills: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple and moderately complex correspondence. Ability to effectively present information, both in written and oral form, to Managers and in Team Members. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide multi-digit numbers. Must understand logarithmic equations and numbers.
- Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Uphold Boochcraft’s company values while representing the Company with enthusiasm and confidence.
- Provide a leadership role in ensuring a safe work environment for all employees
- Conduct safety risk management, DOT security and environmental training and education including compliance with federal and state occupational safety and health administration, environmental protection standards, federal motor carrier safety regulations/department of transportation regulations, security policies and Boochcraft and wholesale operations division policy
- Oversee workers compensation, auto and general liability risk exposure, following the standards set forth in the third party administrator instructions manual
- Ensure that the Safety Program Manual requirements are followed, and the sections in the manual are reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
- Work with Brewing, Packaging, Maintenance, Water Operations, Engineering, Small Batch, Quality, Sales and Events to identify opportunities to improve safety in daily work activities. Regularly update safety protocols, procedures and SOPs as required.
- Coordinate monthly training for all departments, perform the training, take attendance, and document training as required.
- Audit chemical inventories on a monthly basis and verify SDS Binders are up to date
- Monthly Safety Audits/ assessments of each department:
- Area risk assessment
- Compressed gas
- Fire Extinguishers
- First Aid Kits
- Safety eyewash and showers
- Other assessments as identified in the Safety Program Manual
- Assign follow-up assignments resulting from the assessments and audits, and provide status updates on a regular basis.
- Establish Safety KPI’s with the Senior Leadership Team and provide a monthly reporting system on safety metrics.
- Audiometric Testing program management as required.
- Respirator Fit Testing Program management as required.
- Ensure training program for powered industrial trucks is up-to-date. Track Production personnel PIT training to ensure compliance at all times. Track and verify PIT inspections are conducted.
- Create and review Incident/Accident Reports and provide follow-up recommendations to prevent similar occurrences.
- Develop and maintain PPE Matrix and a chemical compatibility matrix
- Develop and maintain the Emergency Preparedness Manual, including but not limited to tracking, organizing, and completing Production Facility emergency training drills for all team members and related activities.
- Track near hits, ensure measures are implemented to address identified safety issues and are closed out in a timely manner.
- Work with the Production supervisors to drive continuous improvement on safety.
- Work with Administration, Operations, and Engineering to identify and prioritize capital improvements for Production relative to safety.
- Audit and update the Lockout/Tagout procedures and Program as required.
- Assist with the Permitting process (confined space, energy isolation, hotwork, etc)
- Fill in on production tasks as required, and as time permits.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes and airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Boochcraft is an equal opportunity employer.