Senior Quality Technician
Victory Brewing CompanyApply for Job
The Quality Technician executes all daily quality duties in the areas of packaging, cellar, laboratory and sensory; ensuring the day-to-day operations of the lab are run according to the Quality SOPs. They ensure quality is a priority across the brewery by focusing on quality control testing, analysis, reporting, and troubleshooting in all areas of production. This includes sterile work for microbiological stability screening, fermentation tracking, chemistry, statistics, sensory, and package testing. They will be trained to be cross-functional in analytical, microbiological, and organoleptic testing. The Quality Technician also manages lab inventory and waste disposal and provides guidance via research, trial, SOP creation and training of other Laboratory Technicians and other brewery staff when necessary.
Reports to: Quality Manager
- Executes daily quality duties across the brewery according to the staff rotation plan, including rotating through any shift that needs support as necessary.
- Ensures that the daily operations of the lab are run according to the Quality SOPs and works with the Quality Manager to continuously improve Quality SOPs; in particular, sample workflow and record keeping.
- Assists with the development of the Quality Management System including writing and revision SOPs, and potentially, MBSs and Cellar Notes or other logs, specification data or CV charting and action plans.
- Collects, organizes, and reports QA/QC data from raw materials through packaging. Reviews Quality Records for completeness and accuracy.
- Manages consumables and equipment inventory, ordering, recordkeeping and 5S practices in the laboratory area and other Quality workspaces throughout facilities.
- Helps coordinate proper disposal of all laboratory products, including disposables and waste.
- Collaborates with other departments and team members to tackle issues as they arise.
- Maintains, calibrates, and verifies accuracy of equipment and instrumentation.
- Performs chemical and analytical testing on product samples.
- Execute O2 testing on brite and packaged beer.
- Performs package integrity testing.
- Inspects equipment for adherences to GMP.
- Takes sterile microbiological samples from a variety of places.
- Performs cell counts alongside of viability or vitality testing.
- Monitors fermentations.
- Leads sensory panel for true to brand.
- Using aseptic technique plate microbiological samples
- Performs microbiological stability testing on a variety of media using aseptic technique and PCR.
- Perform IBU, color, and acetaldehyde testing on a UV/Vis.
- Analyze samples on an Anton Paar Alcolyzer.
- Understands and follows all safety procedures and wears appropriate PPE.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science, or other related science field preferred or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 1 year of QA/QC experience preferred.
- Prior experience with GMP/GLP, HACCP, ISO 9001, Safe Laboratory Operations, and/or a Brewing education is preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of recipes, processes, procedures, and other proprietary information.
- Ability to safely handle and work with potentially hazardous chemicals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications specifically Excel
- Flexibility to travel between brewing locations and provide occasional weekend and evening support. Willing to rotate between 1 and 2 shifts. On occasion a 3rd shift may be necessary.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to accomplish lab and production goals.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize multiple demands.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with high noise levels is required.
- Willingness to occasionally work nights, weekends, or holidays as necessary is required.
Alcohol Responsibility – The candidate must fully understand that they are a representative of not only the company, but of the alcohol beverage industry. They are to conduct themselves within the limits of the law and with concern to the education of responsible consumption at all times. This includes working hours, trade shows, festivals and while entertaining in the name of the company or its affiliates. Any poor reflection or legal matters that may arise due to poor judgment may be dealt with by means of disciplinary action up to and including termination.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The Quality Technician will primarily perform work duties in a laboratory, with frequent trips to the production and warehouse areas. While performing the duties of the job, the Quality Technician is regularly exposed to a damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery. There can be loud noise levels, and protective eyewear is required on the production floor at all times.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, salaried position. Days of work are typically Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Artisanal Brewing Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer