Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Kokus, Inc.Apply for this Job
Koku, the brand behind the world’s most delicious plant-based ice cream, is seeking an experienced leader to be a key part of our executive team.
Our product solves a big problem in the food industry today: the lack of allergen-friendly foods that are both delicious and made from the cleanest and most vibrant and functional ingredients. We launched our pints into leading grocery stores in the Northeast in Spring 2019, and are now looking for a COO to take our business to the next level.
As COO, you will drive quality, efficiency and excellence, while building processes and a team that will set the company up for growth. You will bring creativity, experience and accountability to an already existing performance-oriented culture. Your experience with other fast growing Food CPG companies will inform how you build efficient and effective systems and set us up to scale. You will also drive day-to-day operations and be integral in budgeting, forecasting and planning.
The ideal candidate must be a great collaborator and be comfortable operating in an early-stage fast-paced start-up environment.
About the Role
Reporting to the CEO, the COO will ensure that the people, processes and technology are in place to scale and thrive. Specific responsibilities include:
- Set out strategy to support the product roadmap and drive operational excellence.
- Communicate with the CEO, Advisors, Board and other stakeholders regarding business progress and planning.
Ensure a strong operational foundation:
- Develop, scale and monitor our supply chain and logistics.
- Oversee and drive the quality, efficiency and timeliness of our operations.
- Identify, monitor and manage to KPIs.
- Own operational budget forecasting and reconciliation.
- Oversee and, as necessary, contribute on day-to-day activities for all operational initiatives.
Lead Finance, Legal and HR initiatives:
- Develop finance operations and processes including monthly accounting reconciliation, AP/AR, tracking of budget vs actuals and financial planning and forecasting
- Develop and implement hiring and onboarding best practices
- Liase with legal counsel on all relevant matters and initiatives
We are a people-driven culture and company:
- Identify, recruit and retain a world-class team.
- Create and maintain team processes to drive team effectiveness.
- Identify and address individual development needs of team.
- Complete performance evaluations for direct reports.
A successful candidate will be able to:
- Multi-task. You can effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Build teams. You have successfully recruited, managed and developed a team.
- Effectively communicate. You have excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership and advisor team.
- Scale processes. You are an expert at defining and scaling operational processes, both internally and with external partners.
- Effectively problem solve. You can solve simple and complex issues. You enjoy the challenge of addressing unfamiliar issues and do so by leveraging logic, data and your curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA or Master's degree is a plus.
- 5+ years experience in Food CPG operations. General management responsibilities in CPG or at a startup a plus.
- History of launching new consumer products, managing sales through a distribution network, and scaling for growth and profitability.
- Track record in budget management and forecasting.
- Experience in fundraising a plus.