Fine Dining Executive Sous Chef
Vail ResortsApply for Job
The 10th, Vail's critically acclaimed on-mountain fine-dining restaurant is looking for an EXECUTIVE SOUS CHEF to join our outstanding restaurant staff. The 10th serves an upscale sit-down lunch daily in the winter, and over weekends in the summer. Exceptional cuisine and top notch service are core to The 10th, complete with a boot room for guests to enjoy slippers while they dine! Located at the top of Gondola One at Mid-Vail, The 10th is accessed either by ski-in and ski-out during the day or via Vail’s brand new high tech Gondola One. Modern. Alpine. Inspired. The 10th redefines classic alpine cuisine and elevates service to new standards in Vail.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- This person is either a graduate of a two year culinary program with three years post graduate increasing quality experience, or has at least seven years experience in quality establishments. This position is responsible for the supervision and training of employees, and the preparation and production of food.
- The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in hiring, training and disciplining kitchen personnel.
- Must carry out the rules and quality standards set by the Executive Chef and General Manager
- Responsible for all aspects of the kitchen when the Executive Chef is absent.
- The Executive Sous Chef is proficient in all positions in the kitchen
- The Executive Sous Chef is proficient in plated banquet services and elaborate breakfast, lunch, and formal dinner buffets
- Responsible for training, overseeing and evaluating employees
- Assist in the creation, engineering, costing, and management of menu in addition to monthly inventory, staff scheduling, and purchasing/ordering
- Responsible for proper condition and cleanliness of kitchen and equipment, ensuring proper safety and sanitation, and safe service of food
- Should have the ability to work all stations in the kitchen, and have a proven ability to supervise, communicate, and work well with coworkers and service staff
- Adheres to Vail Resorts Culinary Guidelines
- Owns proper culinary tools
- Understands the importance of personal hygiene, safe food handling practices, and advanced culinary skills
- Understands the importance of Standards, Speed, and Quality
- This employee supports company philosophy, goals, and objectives
- Takes responsibility for the product used in their outlet and manages it to assure a quality product
- Responsible for and supervises lower level cooks in regards to food handling including: rotation, sanitation of all storage areas, labeling and dating, and insures all storage areas are maintained
- Advises higher rated cooks and/or management of anticipated problems
- Assists in the direction and supervision of staff
- Assists in the creation, usage, and follow through of prep lists, cleaning list, and closing lists
- Assists in food ordering
- Demonstrates excellent teamwork and cooperation with service staff
- 5 years culinary experience in a fast-paced, fine dining restaurant - required.
- Must be able to lift and carry 40+ lbs - required.
- Must be able to stand for 8+ hours - required.
- High school diploma or equivalent - required.
- Team oriented attitude is a must
- Must be fluent in English - required.
- ServeSafe or Food Handler’s certification (or be able to attain) - required?
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays including: Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, December 26th through January 2nd, Presidents’ Day Weekend, and any other holidays as requested - required.
- 1-2 years managerial experience - required.
- Basic knowledge of the Spanish language - preferred.