Tree House Brewing CompanyApply for Job
We are looking for a creative individual to join and grow with our very tight family here at Tree House with the position of Distiller. This is an excellent opportunity for a quality focused, talented hard worker who’s passionate about all things spirits down to the individual down to the last detail. The individual will be expected to perform all of the tasks and activities associated with spirit distillation and packaging. The Distiller will work closely with our Head Brewer and be an integral part of our production team. This is a brand new role and well suited for an individual who has initiative, can get up to speed on our culture and processes quickly, takes pride in minor details, and understands their impact when considered as a collective whole in the brewery. This opportunity promises an invigorating and exciting environment where good work is done so we always look for flexibility and a sense of humor in addition to other valuable traits like intent, hard work, and good communication skills.
It’s a great time to join the team to be a part of our growth to come. We are expanding and we continue to build on this creative, eclectic endeavor in our new, state-of-the-art facilities and we couldn’t be more excited and grateful for what’s ahead. The position is FULL-TIME and will be based in Charlton, MA and will include workdays in our other facilities.
As Distiller, you will be responsible for assisting in the development of our brand new spirits program. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned operator to take part in a project with serious resources and fiery ambition.
Activities will include:
- Creating, implementing, and maintaining detailed SOP’s & Protocols and assuring they’re being followed
- Consistent operation of a 1000 Liter Still to produce a wide variety of spirits with a wide variety of raw materials; The distiller will conduct every aspect of production including the sourcing of raw materials, fermentation, distillation, maturation, blending and bottling.
- Identifying and ordering raw materials in coordination with our Operations Manager
- Maintaining output schedules; advising leadership on labor requirements for efficient operation of the distillery space.
- Assisting in the build-out of our distillery space
- Building a team and managing a staff once distillery program is established
- Training and educating staff on the spirits program and ingredients
- Working with our Orchard Manager and Farm Manager to integrate products from our Farm & Orchard in Woodstock, CT into distilled spirits.
- In coordination with our brewing team, working to develop recipes and production processes to make consistently great products
- Taking thorough notes and heavily documenting the trial and error process.
- Sweat the small stuff- pay meticulous attention to detail
- Working with our Orchard Manager to assess crop progress and key harvest initiatives
- Additional varied duties including various operational tasks involved in producing and packaging spirits
- 2-5 years in a lead distiller role
- Proven knowledge and experience with all facets of spirit production from pressing, to variety selection and blending, CIP, fermentation, maturation, packaging, conditioning, & advanced sensory analysis
- Experience in quality control and other protocols
- Effective leadership skills with experience managing others
- Experience working with local, seasonal ingredients in the distilling process
- Prior experience in recipe development
- Possesses existing relationships with local purveyors and is passionate about sourcing sustainably and seasonally
- Data-driven, experimentation mindset, and a thirst for knowledge
- Strong understanding of product costs
- You are self-motivated and able to work autonomously, with a focused and hard working attitude
- A quick learner who is able to work with minimal or no supervision
- Ability to multitask and work coolly and professionally in time sensitive situations
- Must have good communication skills with the ability to both receive feedback and offer ideas
- You are not afraid to speak your mind
- Ability to troubleshoot issues and/or pivot plans quickly in order to coordinate corrective actions needed
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to push, pull, bend, and lift in excess of 50 lbs. as necessary to perform required tasks as assigned throughout the workday.
- Ability to work early, long hours with flexibility and the ability to work beyond normal working hours, on weekends, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary to ensure product delivery
Benefits and Perks:
- Health & Dental Insurance covered in full by Tree House
- 401K w/ employer match
- Generous PTO including vacation, personal, sick, and paid holidays
- Merch and Beer credits and then some
- Annual Hobby stipend
- Consistent reviews to assess progress and your own personal happiness
- Options to participate in killer team/company sponsored events
- Culture! You will work in an environment of driven & intelligent people who have a good time and are constantly striving to improve
At Tree House, we work as a team and we work very hard. . . with purpose and intent. We do not cut corners and we do not take the easy route. We encourage dissent, critical thinking, and an ongoing desire to improve. Our goal is to make the best beverages in the world and serve it in the most friendly and memorable environment possible - that is our obsession, and that is what drives us to do what we do.Thanks for reading! To be considered, follow the link to apply and include your resume, cover letter, and references within your cover | No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.