Regional Grocery District Manager
National Co+op GrocersApply for Job
General managers, multi-unit regional managers, retail food managers and grocery business consultants: Are you interested in work that allows you to support the success and social impact of retail food co-ops? Would you like to apply your financial and retail expertise to supporting socially responsible, independent, and community-owned grocery stores? Are you a strong communicator with outstanding customer service?
National Co+op Grocers (NCG) is a member-owned business service cooperative providing a variety of services to retail food co-ops in 38 states. NCG helps unify food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and offer more value to food co-op shoppers everywhere.
We are seeking an energetic and experienced individual, able to work with managers and decision makers to assess and improve the overall sustainability and growth of their businesses. This candidate will identify, recommend and help implement strategies, tools and resources to help community-owned grocery stores achieve their goals.
We support locally owned members of the community, co-ops that keep their investment dollars in the vicinity by supporting local farmers, food artisans, and other local businesses, and providing jobs for people in the area. Be a part of something great!
- Serve as the account manager for select regional co-ops, communicating regularly with the assigned designated representatives (DRs) to keep them apprised of programs and services, deadlines, program changes, and relevant information.
- Monitor retail and operational performance of assigned co-ops, and ensure that NCG remains aware of developments, trends, concerns and opportunities.
- Develop relationships with other key stakeholders at assigned co-ops to provide informed guidance, identify and develop high performers, and create comprehensive solutions for success.
- Facilitate and lead peer support activities among assigned co-ops that meet common needs and promote a strong peer network.
- Provide onsite and remote coaching, support and assistance to General Managers and other critical stakeholders at assigned co-ops to deliver a strong customer experience, achieve financial and operational success and allow for long-term organizational stability and continuity.
- Provide direction and assistance to co-ops to meet established financial goals for sales, earnings and productivity.
- Assess and strengthen co-ops’ capacity for growth, and coordinate with other NCG positions to support well-executed expansion and improvement projects.
- Help struggling co-ops develop realistic improvement plans and budgets and be proactive partners in recovery.
- Minimum seven years of retail food store leadership experience.
- Understanding of retail food operations, including retail financial analysis, P&L management and cash flow management.
- Supervisory experience, team-building skills and demonstrated ability to build consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of effective personnel policies and experience in employee engagement, change management, and improving employee relations.
- Experience in developing strategic plans, budgets, and managing resources within budgetary limitations.
- Experience working with boards of directors.
- Experience securing capital and working with lenders.
- Ability to mentor co-op managers and other key stakeholders and support their needs.
- Computer literacy with Microsoft office and CRM software.
- Experience with remodel and expansion projects, multi-store management, and working in union and non-union environments preferred.
- Familiarity with retail food co-ops and natural and organic food retailing preferred.
Our team members are our most-valued asset; we offer a generous salary and benefits package including 4 weeks PTO at hire, medical, dental, vision, company paid Life/ Disability/ Long Term Care insurance, HSA/FSA with company contribution, a matching 401K plan with profit sharing and much more.
This position will be based in either NCG's Portland, Oregon office or NCG’s St. Paul, Minnesota office, and requires up to 60% business travel. Relocation assistance is available for this opportunity!
NCG’s Portland, Oregon Office
Located in the dynamic Albina and King District in NE Portland
3934 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd | Portland, OR 97212
Accessible to many modes of public transportation including bus, light rail and trolley
NCG’s St. Paul, Minnesota Office
Conveniently located between St. Paul and Minneapolis
2610 University Ave W, Suite 150 | St. Paul, MN 55114
Free Parking | Front Door Light Rail Station (Westgate - Green Line)
Apply By: Jan 22, 2020 (phone interviews early Feb; in-person interviews end of Feb)
Individuals with Disabilities - National Co+op Grocers wants all interested and qualified candidates to be able to use this career site to review and apply for employment opportunities. If you have a disability and need an accommodation to access this site, please contact us for assistance at (866) 709-2667 ext. 2992.
Equal Opportunity - National Co+op Grocers is an equal opportunity employer. We hire qualified individuals without regard to age, race, color, national origin or ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, status with regard to public assistance, pregnancy, physical/sensory/mental disability, genetic disposition, veteran or military status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, arrest or conviction record, or any other protected category in accordance with applicable laws.
About NCG: National Co+op Grocers (NCG), founded in 1999, is a business services cooperative for retail food co-ops located throughout the United States. We represent 148 food co-ops operating over 200 stores in 38 states with combined annual sales over $2 billion and over 1.3 million consumer-owners. NCG helps unify natural food co-ops in order to optimize operational and marketing resources, strengthen purchasing power, and ultimately offer more value to natural food co-op owners and shoppers everywhere. By providing a variety of purchasing, management, development, marketing and other services, our co-ops are able to gain many of the advantages large grocery chains enjoy, while still reflecting the unique qualities of their local communities. For a map of NCG member and associate co-ops, visit our Find-a-Co-op page. To learn more about co-ops, visit www.welcometothetable.coop.