Birdsong BrewingApply for this Job
About Birdsong - Founded in 2011 from humble roots, Birdsong Brewing Co. has grown to become the Charlotte destination for culinary-inspired, super-fresh, unfiltered American-style ales. Using locally sourced ingredients and fully embracing musical (and often whimsical) inspiration, Birdsong celebrates creativity with a new, weekly small batch release in the taproom every “Thursty Thursday.” Beloved by locals and sought-after by fans across the Carolinas, the 30-barrel brewhouse and taproom in the Belmont neighborhood embodies the #CanDoWillDo philosophy behind what Birdsong brews, thinks and believes. Charlotte’s third oldest brewery is the first in the Queen City to embrace solar power, installing a 75-kilowatt array for the roof of the brewery in 2018.
Birdsong Brewing is in search of an experienced Brewery Director to oversee department managers in day to day brewery operations, align the department policies and objectives with the overall organization objectives, maintain financial oversight of the brewery operations, and lead the marketing strategy to drive increased revenue while maintaining profitability and quality targets.
The Brewery Director is a key leadership role, and as such the Director is expected to operate autonomously with regular reporting to the executive team. The Brewer Director will possess outstanding business acumen, strong leadership skills, a passion for craft beer, and a desire to spend every day working with other likeminded craft beer enthusiasts.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Brewery Management & Leadership
- Collaborate with the executive team to develop and maintain strategic plans that align and enhance the company’s initiatives
- Communicate and embody the company vision, values and culture, creating an exciting and energetic work environment
- Maintain a clean, organized, friendly and welcoming environment in all areas of operations, ensuring the best possible employee & customer experience
- Assume ownership of the brewery practices & performance to ensure the highest standards are met
- Develop and maintain a continuous controlled growth plan and achieve key performance goals
- Lead, manage and communicate priorities across the brewery teams to ensure their teams are optimized and efficiently work together
- Assist department managers with development and enforcement of standard operating procedures
- Manage customer, employee, vendor, and distributor relationships as needed
- Represent company at trade associations, guild meetings and speaking engagements to promote company and products.
- Ensure all activities are conducted within local, state and federal laws
- Ensure and enforce workplace safety and risk management protocols
- Maintaining reporting, licenses, labeling, and other compliance items required by applicable agencies
- Ensure trademarks and copyrights are registered and renewed as needed
- Comply with all company policies and procedures
- Promote the Birdsong brand when visiting key clients
- Serve as an example of responsible alcohol consumption.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the executive team
Personnel Management & Leadership
- Lead the team of direct reports (~7) including specific support staff and department managers
- Develop and maintain simple metrics to efficiently communicate and incent performance of team members
- Maintain a positive and productive working environment by managing the entire employee lifecycle including recruiting, onboarding, training, feedback and performance management, career development, and compensation.
- Develop talent within the organization, building the necessary capability and succession to ensure sustainable delivery of business and strategic priorities
- Motivate and provide ongoing coaching and development of direct reports and their staff to drive and achieve KPIs
- Assist executive team with annual budgets (both CapEx and OpEx) and actively manage the brewery budgets to achieve approved targets
- Assist department managers with the development and maintenance of departmental budgets
- Establish key metrics and develop plans to provide accurate lean accounting and inventory controls to drive cost effective actions.
- Provide financial reporting to the executive team on regular (monthly, quarterly, & annual) basis
- Complete regular audits of day to day financials to ensure any issues are identified and resolved in a timely manner
- Ensure reconciliation of accounting system records with monthly financials.
- Prioritize operational repair and maintenance needs
- Partner with executive team to establish marketing strategy
- Provide oversight of marketing team and material to ensure adherence to the strategy and consistency in message across all channels
- Align sales, production, and tap room teams with the overall marketing strategy
- Collaborate with executive team on pricing strategies to align with overall marketing strategy
- Attend special events, festivals, dinners & tastings as needed
The ideal Birdsong Brewery Director will possess the following:
- Working knowledge and passion for the craft beer industry
- A minimum of 7+ years of progressive experience within the craft beverage industry
- Ability to manage a complex, fast-paced environment and easily adapt to changing situations using prioritization and critical thinking skills.
- BA/BS in business, engineering or a brewery-related field
- Formal brewing education or equivalent hands-on experience in the trade that can be used in place of formal education
- Experience leading marketing initiatives for local, regional, or national brands
- Leadership skills with a proven ability to lead and motivate team members
- Strong decision-making and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with periodic travel
- Proficient in business, analytics and organizational tools such as Gmail, Google Docs, Excel, and QuickBooks