Gravity BrewingApply for this Job
Head Brewer – Gravity Brewing – Louisville, Colorado
Position Type: Full-Time Head Brewer
Required Start Date: March 1, 2020
Company Overview: Gravity Brewing is a small and growing craft brewery located in one of the best places to live in America; Louisville, CO. Gravity has been producing Award-Winning beer since August 2012 using a 10 BBL Brewery and an 1800 square-foot Retail Tasting Room. Current production is roughly 750 BBLs per year, with a current capacity of 1200 BBLs annually. Gravity Brewing is seeking a full-time Experienced Head Brewer, reporting to the Owners.
Job Description: Gravity Brewing seeks an energetic and passionate Head Brewer for our progressive and growing Brewery/Tasting Room in Louisville, CO. This position involves all aspects of working in our 10 BBL brewery including wort production, fermentation, transfers/filtration, yeast management, and packaging. As our beer is the backbone to our existence, our Brewers are tasked with ensuring that Gravity’s ideals are communicated through producing top notch quality beer. Gravity takes pride in the reputation and role it plays in the American Craft Brewing Industry, in the traditional & cutting edge ales & lagers that we brew, the atmosphere we create, and our loyal customers. The Head Brewer must be able to work independently in the brewery covering all aspects of production while participating with the rest of the team (supervising/managing Assistant Brewer and reporting to the Owners), as well as interact with and educate guests.
- Brewing, transferring, filtering, and cellaring beer.
- CIP tanks, Cellar equipment and Brewhouse.
- Keg cleaning (load/unload van, drop-off and pick-up)
- Harvest, pitch and manage yeast.
- Dry-hop and fine beers.
- Packaging in kegs, bottles and Crowlers (potentially cans).
- Supervise and manage Assistant Brewer(s).
- Ordering and maintaining hops, grains, chemicals, and supplies.
- Picking up grains, glassware, etc. at local Denver area vendors. Requires loading and unloading of van.
- Maintain workplace safety while upholding quality standards.
- Continually lift, drag, carry and manipulate hoses, parts, pumps, buckets and reservoirs.
- Maintain accurate and legible brewing records.
- Sanitation of all beer contact surfaces and equipment.
- Exceed customer expectations of Gravity Brewing and to create an emotional bond that reinforces the brand position and brand strategy.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on weekends, if needed.
- Maintaining general cleanliness of the Brewhouse & Cellar by mopping, etc.
- Regular draft line cleaning in Tasting Room.
- Greeting, interacting with, and educating customers on product/general company information.
- Constantly evolving knowledge of Gravity’s ever-changing list of 16+ draft beers.
- Reproduce Gravity’s 16+ existing beers while working with the Founder/Brewer to formulate new recipes.
- Barrel Aging Program management.
- Completing side work and cleaning projects.
- Business Management/Admin assistance (Excise Tax, etc.) desired.
- Assisting with setup, serving, and breaking down at Beer Festivals (mostly weekends).
- Assist with sales/distribution.
Essential Job Skills/Qualifications:
- A great personality is essential. Being outgoing, friendly, and a team player is key.
- The right candidate will be safety-minded, efficient, quality-focused, have a great work ethic and a positive attitude.
- Minimum 4 years commercial brewing experience (formal brewing education a plus).
- Experience supervising and managing Assistant Brewer(s).
- Possess a mechanical aptitude and strong troubleshooting skills.
- Need to be self-motivated and passionate.
- Ability to multitask and manage time while being detail oriented.
- Flexible schedule (available weekends if/when needed).
- Reliable transportation, valid unrestricted driver’s license.
- Must be able to bend over, twist, kneel, stand for the duration of a shift, lift 55 pounds and maneuver 160 pounds repeatedly.
- Requires proper handling of hazardous materials and operation of complex machinery.
- Good communication skills (spoken & written).
- Ability to work in a Team Environment: Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to work independently and mostly alone. Self-Learner/Teacher.
- Ability to be calm and flexible while working through high-stress situations.
- Attention to Detail: Holding the highest standard of quality and never cutting any corners.
- Ability to work a variety of hours as business levels are affected by season.
- Lead by setting a professional and upbeat example.
- Having the writing and math skills necessary to accurately complete forms, write orders, draft emails, and perform necessary brewing calculations.
- Strong computer skills. Microsoft software (word, outlook, excel). Brewery software.
- Business Management/Admin (Excise Taxes, etc.) desired.
- Beer Festival setup, serving, and breaking down experience required.
- Distribution & sales experience desired.
If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter. Compensation will be based on experience. Performance Bonus and Equity/Ownership incentive included.