Counterweight Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Job Title: Head Brewer
Job Location: Hamden, CT
Reports To: Owner
Position Type: Salary Non-Exempt
Make great beer while being a positive force in our beer scene and community, provide excellent customer service, and have fun while doing it.
Counterweight Brewing is a small brewery with reasonable planned growth over the next few years. We are located in an 11,500 square foot facility, running a five head Cask canning line, 20 BBL brewhouse, and aiming to produce a wide array of beer styles. There are two tasting rooms focused on providing the best possible customer experience and optimal enjoyment. In addition to being available in the taprooms, certain brands are distributed in CT.
The Head Brewer is an integral role in the day to day operations of the brewery. They will be proficient in all areas of production brewing including, but not limited to, grain handling, brewhouse operations, yeast and fermentation management, dry hopping, packaging fundamentals, scheduling, cleaning/sanitizing, and troubleshooting day to day challenges.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Formulate inventive recipes
- Maintain the integrity of all Counterweight beers
- Manage raw ingredient inventory including, but not limited to, grain, hops, yeast, adjuncts., etc.
- Order raw ingredients needed for brewing
- Manage inventory of chemicals needed for sanitation
- Order necessary chemicals
- Ensure all production staff adhere to Counterweight’s brewing principles and practices
- Ensure all production staff properly utilizes personal protective equipment when necessary
- Maintain the brewing schedule
- Schedule production staff to appropriately execute brewing schedule
- Communicate brewing schedule changes to necessary staff
- Ensure daily brewing activities are completed timely and properly including, but not limited to, milling, dry hopping, packaging, cleaning/sanitizing, stocking received goods, other activities necessary to smooth brewery operation
- Schedule and take part in collaboration brews
- Actively pursues new knowledge regarding the industry
- Complete and ensure production staff is filling out brewing, racking, packaging, walk-in, and any other necessary production sheets
- Take an active role in training new staff as well as making sure current staff are re-trained if necessary
- Genuine enthusiasm for beer
- Knowledge and execution of sound brewing processes
- Computer proficiency (Excel, Word, email, internet usage)
- Strong communication skills
- Flexible availability
- Ability to become certified to operate forklift and pallet jack
- Ability to work well independently and on a team
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Mechanically Inclined
- Ability to multi-task effectively
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Common sense
- Inventory Management
- Ability to handle a number of different projects simultaneously
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to delegate
- Other functions as necessary
- Formal brewing education from an accredited program
- 3-4 years professional production brewing experience
- 1-2 years managerial experience
- Ability to repeatedly lift and move 55 lbs. above shoulder height
- Ability to frequently stand, walk, kneel, sit, stoop, climb, push, pull, and lift for extended periods of time
- Acute sensory abilities
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell
- Ability to follow and effectively execute safety protocols, including use of personal protective equipment, and safe chemical handling procedures
- Ability to work in an environment with varying temperature, and noise levels
Competitive compensation will be based on experience and will include health, dental, and vision benefits, a 401K program with a safe harbor match (once eligible), five paid sick days, and two weeks paid vacation to start (pending introductory period, which may vary from employee to employee).
Equal Opportunity Employer
Counterweight Brewing strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Counterweight Brewing is an at-will employer, meaning that either the employee or Counterweight Brewing are free to end the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice or cause.