Flying Dog BreweryApply for Job
Flying Dog is Maryland’s largest and most disobedient craft brewery...and we’re looking for an Innovation Brewer to own all aspects of our 20 gallon and 15-barrel pilot breweries, as well as, be a major contributor to the ongoing development and training of our production team.
This role is the perfect sweet and salty mix of research and development, brewing and training. You might just wear more hats than Ironman Cal Ripken, Jr. during his 2,632-game streak, but the perks and benefits are bountiful!
Roles and Responsibilities:
- This is an R&D role where precise execution of pilot recipes is required to ensure scalability and repeatability. Your job directly affects what goes into each and every bottle we sell, how epic is that?!
- Break out those note taking skills from high school and document all relevant ingredient, process and deviation details to ensure pilot batches can be differentiated and repeated.
- Oversee and coordinate all aspects of the pilot brewing process beyond brew day, including yeast management, fermentation and monitoring, caps/conditions, special ingredient additions and dry hopping.
- Complete transfers, filtration, kegging and carbonation of brews in a timely fashion to keep fermenters open to receive new batches.
- Complete and file all paperwork related to pilot brewing, cleaning and maintenance. Paperwork is way more fun when it is talking about beer.
- Monitor keg storage inventory and remove finished pilots. Clean pilot taps on a monthly schedule maintain status board.
- Inspect all pilot equipment and coordinate with the maintenance team to ensure it is kept in working order.
- Schedule and complete preventative maintenance and cleaning cycles on all pilot equipment, gotta stay so fresh and clean!
- Host and interact with guests during pilot brewing visits related to education/collaborations.
- Attend R&D, Innovation meetings, participate in beer releases, market events and Junto meetings when those resume. Until then, some of these meetings will be in person, some will be over Zoom… neither require pants.
- Stay current on brewing style and trends, new processes and ingredients.
- Perform process audits to determine SOP performance and accuracy, SOP revisions and further training opportunities.
- Schedule and train Production Team Members on ‘201’ level training items for each production department.
- Maintain a training tracker to determine training needs by Team Member/Department.
- Test new products/processes on pilot or production brewhouses to determine feasibility.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
Two years of production brewery experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Computer literacy and experience with Microsoft software programs (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point) preferred. Presentation skills that would make Tony Robbins weak in the knees.
- Ability to analyze situations and make decisions based on fact and experience.
- Self-starter, with the ability to stay on task, and be highly productive.
- Proficient in air-guitaring to 80’s hair metal.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented nature, tenaciously digging into problems to find creative solutions.
- Work in a variety of climate conditions
- Repetitive lifting (up to 55lbs)