Head Brewer - Apponaug Brewing Company - Rhode Island
Apponaug Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Apponaug Brewing Company is a 10 BBL brewery/brewpub located in a beautiful converted textile mill in Warwick RI. Our beer portfolio covers a diverse range of styles from traditional to fun and creative. Our 100 seat taproom and large beer garden is focused on providing the best possible customer experience and a refuge and oasis from daily life.
We are looking for a passionate, hard-working individual to join and grow with our very tight knit work family as Head Brewer. As the Head Brewer you will be asked to take part in recipe development, and continued promotion and sustainability of our brand. This position comes with a lot of responsibility, but also awards you a tremendous amount of creative freedom. You will work in an environment of driven & smart people who have a good time and are constantly striving to improve. We work as a team and we work very hard to find the best solutions, not necessarily the easiest ones. We encourage people to voice their opinion, engage in critical thinking, and work as a team to constantly improve. Our goal is to make great beer and to serve it in the most friendly and welcoming environment possible.
The Head Brewer will play an integral role in the day-to-day operations of the brewery. The candidate will be proficient in all areas of production brewing including, but not limited to: grain handling, yeast management, wort production, brewhouse operations, fermentation, production and canning scheduling, cleaning and sanitization, as well as troubleshooting and overcoming challenges. This person must also be comfortable working alone in a brew pub setting.
The demands of the Head Brewer position are very physical in nature. The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job you will be working over, under, and around machinery in tight and cramped spaces.
A good candidate will also need to be able to lift and/or move up to 160 pounds, be able to twist and turn repeatedly, be able to reach over their shoulders, and work in a standing, kneeling, walking, and crouching position at a steady pace for extended periods of time. The candidate must be comfortable working at heights of 10+ feet, while standing on a ladder. The candidate must be able to safely handle hazardous chemicals. Adherence to company policies is a must.
In return for the following specific and extensive list of qualifications and requirements we are eager to offer a very fair compensation, incentive and benefits package depending on experience and qualifications.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Tamara@ApponaugBrewing.com
Detailed Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and operate our 10 bbl brewhouse and related equipment.
- Ensure daily brewing activities are completed timely and properly including, but not limited to, milling, dry hopping, packaging, cleaning/sanitizing, ordering and stocking goods, other activities necessary to smooth brewery operation
- Maintain the integrity and “true to brand” profile of all our core Apponaug Brewing Company beers and formulate new recipes for beers to be sold in both our taproom and for distribution.
- Manage all consumables required in brewing operations. Ensure all raw ingredients (grain, hops, yeast, adjuncts, cellar consumables) are available per the brewing schedule in order to ensure no production shortages or stoppages.
- Manage inventory for chemicals needed for cleaning and sanitizing
- Maintain the brewing and packaging schedules.
- Maintain and/or create brewing, packaging, walk-in, and any other necessary production sheets
- Troubleshooting and occasional maintenance tasks.
- Identify opportunities for operational improvements.
- Schedule and take part in collaboration brews
- Actively pursue new knowledge regarding the industry
- Take an active role in training new Front of House staff on beer profiles as well as making sure current staff are re-trained if necessary
Qualifications and Skills:
- Preferred 3 – 5 years of brewing experience in a commercial brewery.
- Formal brewing education, training, certifications, or accreditation are a plus.
- A thorough knowledge of brewing/process equipment including: malt milling equipment, brewhouse equipment, and cellar equipment.
- Skills applicable to general maintenance functions, including mechanical, and electrical are a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft software - especially Excel spreadsheets.
- Genuine enthusiasm for beer and hospitality
- Possess acute sensory abilities to ensure beer quality
- Knowledge and execution of sound brewing processes
- Strong communication skills including an understanding of how to communicate effectively with
customers, staff and management
- Ability to work well independently and on a team
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task effectively
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Common sense