Head Brewer - Front Royal Brewing Company - Virginia
Front Royal Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Front Royal sits in the heart of the scenic Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, at the entrance to Shenandoah National Park, on the banks of the canoe-packed Shenandoah river, and just off the Appalachian Trail. We are near the crossroads of two major interstate highways: I-66 and I-81 – just over an hour’s drive from the 6 million people living in the Washington D.C. metro area. As such, Front Royal is a highly visited and desirable outdoor destination.
Front Royal Brewing Company (FRB) is an award-winning brewpub with a 10-barrel brewhouse, a 1-barrel pilot system, a sixteen-tap tasting room, a full restaurant with an accomplished Executive Chef all located on Main Street in the historic district of Front Royal, Virginia, and housed in a renovated garage built for Model-T’s in the 1920’s. Started just over two years ago, we are ready to take our game to the next level and become a craft beer destination that is known just as much for quality as it is for industry-leading innovation.
We are looking for a talented, experienced Head Brewer to lead our brewing operations and push the envelope of industry norms. An individual with passion and vision for growth! Our Head Brewer must have the industry know-how and confidence to brew a broad and balanced lineup that includes traditional German styles, hazy IPAs, sours, high gravity stouts, a house-seltzer option, and other fun and creative styles. Our Head Brewer must become a key player capable of actively leading and networking throughout the craft brewing industry. They will represent our brand, collaborate with other brewers, and extend our marketing reach as a relevant entity. They must have an infectiously positive outlook, seeing possibilities where others see problems and obstacles.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Actively participating with FRB’s management team to develop strategies and plans
- Designing, developing, and brewing new recipes
- Brewing established FRB recipes to the appropriate standards
- Ensuring a high level of product quality, temperature, pressure, gravity and carbonation in brewing, packaging, and in the Tap Room on a daily basis
- Creating beer lineups and scheduling brewhouse activities
- Leading and managing all brewhouse operations, and supervising Cellar staff
- Managing canning operations through in-house canning line and contract canning support
- Ensuring all raw materials and inventory items are properly stored and maintained
- Developing and maintaining standard operating procedures and ensuring stringent quality control practices
- Managing administrative requirements, including inventory, ordering, brewing documentation and data, and tax obligations, with support from FRB’s Administrative staff.
- Training taproom staff on the basics of craft beer
- Maintaining draft lines
- Representing FRB in marketing and customer events, beer events, and festivals as appropriate
- Working with FRB’s Marketing Director and FRB distributors to support all distribution requirements
- Diligently ensuring all brewhouse health and cleanliness standards kept to the highest level
Interested candidates should have:
- Three to five years of progressive commercial brewing experience with commensurate professional training
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Ability to work unsupervised and be self-motivated
- Ability to build trust, communicate, and work effectively as a member of a management team
- In-depth knowledge of yeast management
- Knowledge and experience with batch monitoring and blending, liquid transfer, and filtration
- Experience in running a successful sensory program.
- Full cellaring knowledge
- Ability to perform proper and safe CIP procedures
- Ability to work efficiently and with utmost safety in handling required chemicals
- Physical capability to climb ladders, stand for extended periods, move up to 165lbs and repeatedly lift up to 60lbs, and to squat, bend, kneel and stretch on a regular basis
- Mechanical skills sufficient to maintain system components and perform intermediate-level diagnosis and repair to include basic boiler and glycol system knowledge
FRB offers a competitive salary and benefit package, consistent with market rates, as well as potential incentives.
We are looking to hire very quickly. Interested candidates should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org