Director of Brewing Operations
Three Taverns Craft BreweryApply for this Job
Who are we? Three Taverns is a top rated brewery in Georgia’s emerging craft brewery scene. Creative and experimental, our mantra of “Surpass the Ordinary” informs everything we say and do. Our versatility and dedication to high standards of quality, consistency, and customer experience is evidenced in everything from our broad range of highly regarded beers and our distinct branding and packaging to our beautiful tasting rooms and brewing facilities.
We believe in the power of story and are seeking an inspired, energetic and creative Director of Brewing Operations to join and lead our talented team. With a strong commitment to growth and currently selling at 10,000 bbls annually, we are looking for an innovative and proven manager to lead our production staff in an environment of accelerated growth, including the continued expansion of our present location alongside our smaller, experimental brewery location (The Imaginarium).
Where are we? Three Taverns’ main facility is situated in the burgeoning beer hub of Decatur, Georgia USA, just six miles from downtown Atlanta. Walkable, neighborly, urbane Decatur is the hub of beer culture for the surrounding area and is home to a wonderful collection of shops, amazing restaurants and beer bars, including the world-famous Brick Store Pub. Our new Imaginarium brewery and taproom is located closer to downtown just off the Atlanta Beltline in the repurposed Atlanta Dairies next to a new 3,000 seat music venue.
For more information please visit www.threetavernsbrewery.com and see our requirements below:
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing the main Three Taverns brewing facility, including a 30-bbl 4-vessel Newlands Brewhouse, Comac bottling line, Comac can line and keg line.
- Managing a second Three Taverns experimental brewery location, including a 10-bbl 2-vessel Creveller brewhouse and Cask canning line
- Working with management team to uphold our high standards of quality and ensure Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to and improved on as possible.
- Leading the creative process in designing unique and inspiring new beers while fine-tuning and improving existing offerings.
- Managing and expanding our clean and sour/wild barrel program.
- Leading and expanding our small batch pilot program (Imaginarium Project).
- Building, developing and leading a team of passionate production employees.
- Working with management team on production planning and forecasting.
- Work cross functionally with other department team members on raw ingredient inventories, cost of goods, scheduling, forecasts and contracts.
- Maintaining detailed records of beer production.
- Managing and developing procedures for quality testing and control.
- Continuously innovating and improving both product and brewing and packaging practices and processes.
- Insure we maintain safety and OSHA standards.
- Working with marketing and sales team to improve the profile of the brewery.
- Being willing to contribute to tasks outside your key responsibilities.
- Being able to appreciate beer without personal abuse-related problems.
Knowledge, skill and experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years in a professional brewing capacity, preferably, though not required, with a degree or certification in brewing science and technology
- Collaborative spirit and ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Must have fantastic communication skills, both internally and externally
- Must have excellent project management and organizational skills
- Must have a methodical nature with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Must have a solid understanding of all aspects of wort production, yeast handling, cellaring, CIP and sanitizing
- Must have a strong mechanical background and aptitude with the ability to troubleshoot and resolve mechanical problems
- Should have the ability to develop, execute and manage a brewery preventative maintenance (PM) program
- Should have prior packaging, bottling and racking experience
- Should have a good understanding of Lab Operations/Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- Should have “hands on” leadership skills, with the ability to work within and lead as a part of a team
- Should have inventory management experience; ordering raw materials and parts, recording and monitoring raw materials and parts in house
- Capable of managing a staff with the desire to teach others
- Should have a strong work ethic and the ability to work under pressure and multitask
Highly competitive salary and bonus structure, health insurance, 401K and other incentives dependent on experience