Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.Apply for Job
The Brewing Manager is passionate about sustainably making great beer and delivering the highest quality Sierra Nevada Experience. Reporting to the Director of Plant Operations, the Brewing Manager leads the brewing team who is to be focused on consistently making our products on time, within specification and in a safe and sustainable manner. The Brewing Manager is an active participant of the site leadership team and is a key contributor to the breweries long-term strategic planning process.
- Lead a team responsible for products from raw materials through packaging release; ensures safety protocols are followed in all work activities
- Manage, motivate, and develop staff including hiring, training, performance management, and personal skill development through goal setting and tracking
- Reduces product variables by utilizing continuous improvement tools such as SPCs (statistical process controls)
- Drives continuous improvement using Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) to develop and coach others to elevate quality, minimize waste and inefficiency, and improve performance
- Actively collaborates with internal and external resources; productively contributes to the growth and development of the company and the craft brewing community
- Develops, maintains and manages the brewing department budget
- Serves as a technical and educational resource for brewing operations
- Proactively and effectively communicates changes and business updates with employees
- Participates in brewery’s long-term strategic planning process
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s or greater degree in engineering, food/fermentation science, chemistry, microbiology or related field required
- Diploma or certificate in Brewing from an accredited institution required
- Or any combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
- 3 years of supervisory or management experience required
- 5 years of relevant experience in a production brewery environment required; 10 years strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert level understanding of brewing raw materials, brew house operations, fermenting of ales and lagers, yeast metabolism/performance, filtration/finishing, overall sterile practices, brewery wide sanitation, brewery layout and equipment design
- Proficient understanding of GMPs, CIP/sterilization operations, water chemistry and processing, brewery microbiology, Quality systems, sensory science, packaging operations, utilities, etc.
- Proven ability to be a highly energetic leader with track record of team motivation, leadership, training and development while maintaining positive morale
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and manage time effectively
- Facilitating problem solving activities
- Experience with brewery automation systems
- Understanding of statistical process control methods
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold (non-weather); extreme heat (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but may occasionally be moderate or require hearing protection.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to lift 35 pounds without assistance, and maneuver 35 pounds safely and with proper body mechanics. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasional travel (less than 10%) required, primarily to conferences, suppliers, and between Sierra Nevada breweries
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment background check.
** This position will remain open until filled; online applications will be reviewed weekly **
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer