Jeni's Splendid Ice CreamsApply for this Job
The Buyer will work closely with, and report directly to, the Director of Sourcing to source and procure ingredients and packaging for our ice creams and other food offerings. Position requires the ideal candidate to be smart and flexible to create and manage a long-term supply plan but also be able to react quickly and thoughtfully to changes in supply and demand. Responsibilities include sourcing and support to our new product development process as well as working with suppliers and producers on a continuous supply of high quality produce, dairy, and other ingredients to ensure we always have what we need, when we need it, with the quality and standards that are integral to Jeni’s Fellowship model of sourcing. This will entail working at both strategic and tactical levels to develop and manage ingredient bills of materials and forecasts and communicate those to suppliers and production partners to ensure compliance to our volume, pricing, delivery, and quality requirements. This position is highly collaborative with several functional areas of Team Jeni’s (R&D, Food Safety & Quality, Production, Marketing, Finance, etc.), and often takes a leadership role in projects and product launches.
It is critical that this Buyer have a proactive approach to long term and contingency planning – addressing day-to-day operating issues as well as providing strategic input to demand and commercial planning. Key areas of focus will encompass several areas of supply chain: supplier performance management, multi-level bills of materials, planning and forecasting, product specifications, data analysis, cost analysis, master data management, new product launch execution, capacity planning & the ability to drive, measure and manage year over year cost productivity and other key metrics.
- Maintain ingredient supply plan by calculating multi-level bills of material from provided finished goods forecasts and product formulas. Regularly update and communicate these forecasts through monthly distribution to all key suppliers. Lead long range supplier planning sessions annually.
- Resolve short term supply issues through supplier collaboration and effective communication, alternate sourcing and utilizing contingencies and propose long term changes to ensure a consistent product supply.
- Coordinate product packaging with Jeni’s staff and suppliers to ensure correct supply of designated packaging is available for production.
- Source and qualify ingredients for new product development in coordination with R&D chefs, commercial team, and food safety and quality staff.
- Negotiate pricing and delivery with suppliers. Communicate negotiated purchasing information for specialty ingredients to product manufacturers.
- Understand produce planting cycles, communicate requirements to farms and produce processors to ensure adequate supply of fresh items from annual harvests.Understand market conditions related to specialty ingredients and contract requirements for items such as fruit, vanilla, cocoa, nuts, coconut cream, etc. Calculate requirements and arrange contracts with suppliers and Director of Sourcing.
- Understand Jeni’s ingredient buying requirements and specifications and work with suppliers and Jeni’s quality to maintain compliance.
- Create and manage purchase orders and coordinate finished good pick-ups with suppliers, transportation, and scheduling teams.
- Maintain master data on items such as pricing, lead time, MOQs, items numbers, and check against supplier price files monthly. Assist with item set ups in ERP system. Assist food safety and R&D team with supplier coordination for approval process, updates, and documentation.
- Continuously search for great products and partners to build our Fellowship model and support our social mission through sourcing.
- Develop, execute, and validate cost savings and other purchasing projects.
- Lead and/or participate in weekly meetings to understand production schedules, new products, open orders, and supply issues and work quickly to resolve any issues.
- Ensure that the appropriate internal customers are consulted and informed of relevant changes in supplier strategy, capabilities, product availability, etc.
- 3-5 years purchasing or comparable supply or demand planning experience.
- Experience in food industry preferably in production, planning or purchasing.
- Highly proficient in spreadsheets and data tools (Excel, Google Sheets).
- Thorough understanding of supply planning parameters (LT, MOQ, safety stock, BOMs, etc).
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively. A roll-up the sleeves, can-do attitude. Highly adaptable & resourceful. Quick study.
- Must be able to manage and communicate complex timelines and meet deadlines.
- Highly organized and excellent verbal and written communication skills. Data driven negotiator. Able to manage multiple priorities.
- Limited Ohio & US travel for supplier meetings (post-Covid)
- Preferred experience writing and managing Request for Quotes (RFQ) and/or Proposals (RFP).
- Experience evaluating and managing commodities. Experience with food products a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Please email cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com to be considered.