Head Brewer/Production Manager
Ugly Half Beer - TaiwanApply for this Job
Head Brewer/Production Manager UGLY HALF BEER — Taipei, Taiwan
Reports to: Co-founders
Our Kiwi Head Brewer/Production Manager is heading closer to home after 7 years in Asia. We need someone to fill his boots. Ugly Half is a one-year-old newbie in the flourishing Taiwan craft scene. This is an opportunity to stamp your mark on something and work with us to make the best beer in Asia
Ready and excited for a new challenge in a totally new environment. An innovative brewer withat least5 years brewing experience and production management experience in a well-established brewery with a great reputation for quality & innovation. You have a polished and wide-ranging skillset and now you’re ready for a big next step. A total stickler for quality, technical finesse is the bedrock of everything you do.
However, you’re also adventurous and creative – ready to give anything a try. You have the ability to bring teams together across different functions and cultural barriers, because you’re adaptable and able to quickly get up to speed in a foreign culture. You love great food & drink and are curious about local ingredients and new tastes. Self-motivated and perseverant, you have a problem-solving attitude and great critical thinking skills.
UGLY HALF BEER has just turned one. Based in vibrant, bustling, essentially COVID free Taipei, we are a new entrant to Taiwan’s fledgling craft beer scene. We see making great beer as a creative outlet that also allows us to get involved in lots of other things we like; art, music, design and food.
Over the past year we’ve pumped out over 40 different beers, started our barrel program, picked up a silver medal at the Asia Beer Championship for our Saison, and grew our little team to 17 people. The platform is set for a big 2021.
Taiwan has grabbed all the headlines recently for its deft handling of the coronavirus pandemic. The virus was prevented from taking hold and life has remained essentially normal.
Taiwan deserves plenty of attention for many other reasons though; Greater Taipei is a vibrant metropolis of more than 6 million people, but it is ringed with mountains and there is easy access to nature and an abundance of great hikes lie within a short distance. The natural beauty beyond Taipei city is world renowned, and there is surf on the East coast, 45 mins drive from the city.
Taipei has an amazing local food culture and a flourishing international food scene. Great coffee and cocktails are easy to find. Craft beer is on the rise, with a number of breweries springing up in the past few years, all followed by a passionate beer community.
The local art, music and design communities are rich and thriving. A balanced lifestyle is a priority here, and the pace of life is often in contrast with the bustle of the big city.
- Responsible for the management of Ugly Half Brewery Production.
- Ensure production and packaging plans are delivered to meet sales and marketing demands.
- Maintain the highest level of product quality and consistency.
- Ensure health and safety is the forefront of every aspect of the brewing process.
- Brewery management of a 25hL, 3 vessel DME Brewhouse.
- Packaging management of a 1300bph NRB packaging line.
- Management of a small brewing/packaging team with a strong focus on staff training.
- Production and packaging scheduling. Work with Sales and Marketing team to manage the stock level of finished goods and schedule packaging.
- Procurement of raw materials from our established suppliers and maintain adequate stock levels according to production and packaging plans.
- Be a key driver of new product development of our R&D series – keeping abreast of the latest trends and developments in the craft beer industry, and sourcing new & interesting raw materials.
- Continuous improvement of processes, beer quality and efficiency.
- Ensure all brewery documents and records are completed and up to date.
- Management of all brewery equipment maintenance.
- Ensure occupational health and safety requirements are met.
- Ensure the brewery is clean and complies with food hygiene regulations.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years brewing experience, with production management experience.
- Tertiary qualification (Taiwan Visa requirement).
- Broad knowledge and passion of brewing and brewing innovation.
- Beer sensory evaluation experience.
- Strong problem-solving abilities especially around brewing and production, packaging equipment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-motivated with excellent organisational skills and time management.
- A high level of competency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Familiarity with brewery management software such as Vinsight, Ekos or Orchestrated Beer.
- Technical aptitude with equipment and experience with brewery set-up/expansion a huge bonus.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Healthcare through the local Taiwan system.
- Housing allowance.
- Flights reimbursed after minimum work period.
- All work permits and visas arranged.
Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/uglyhalf
Instagram → https://www.instagram.com/uglyhalfbeer/