pFriem Family BrewersApply for this Job
We are looking for an exceptional Head Brewer, and a passionate, dedicated and ambitious leader to join our talented production team at pFriem Family Brewers.
The Head Brewer works closely with the Brewmaster, and brewery management counterparts to brew world-class pFriem Family Brewers beer and to manage the production team day-to-day. The Head Brewer is responsible for all aspects of brewing and team management, and the delivery of consistent, and innovative beer that pFriem Family Brewers is known for. The Head Brewer will execute smooth and efficient production processes, and will work collaboratively with the packaging, and quality control organizations to deliver the best beer that we can collectively aspire to.
The successful candidate will have impressive experience in the brewing industry, have a technical brewing background, and will have significant personnel management experience. Candidates with experience in larger scale production management environments, and/or those on a career path for senior level brewery management roles will be prioritized.
As part of the company’s management team, the Head Brewer will be expected to contribute significantly to the company’s continued growth and expansion initiatives, and will be involved in shaping strategy, policy, and culture.
- Manage all aspects of the production team, including scheduling, personnel development, organizational development, planning, process adherence and development, etc
- Evaluate staffing requirements, skill sets, and experience, in order to keep brewing department appropriately staffed, and motivated for future growth
- In collaboration with the Brewmaster and other brewery leaders, create a vision for the beer, and work across departments to create alignment for its realization
- Develop and execute a training program that provides growth opportunities for team members, and leads to quality, consistency, and innovation in beer.
- Maintain and encourage the use of standard operating procedures to ensure a culture of repeatability, process, and adherence to high standards
- Develop continuous improvement processes, and work across brewery departments to facilitate a proactive problem-solving environment
- Work with packaging and quality assurance leadership to plan for, deliver, trouble shoot, and execute end to end product quality
- Be a participant and thought leader in the company’s R&D process to ensure we’re continually driving our beer forward
- Monitor and continuously improve brewing operations with regards to quality, efficiency, cost reduction, fulfillment, and profitability
- Working with the facilities team, ensure that all equipment and systems are of sufficient capacity, reliability and consistency to support production
- Ensure a safe work environment that embraces safe work habits, risk management, regulatory compliance, and corrective action processes
- Work with brewery management to maintain brewing areas to ensure operations comply with company quality, sanitation, and safety standards, as well as Good Manufacturing Practices
- Create and execute operational goals and objectives for the brewery production team that are tied to company strategy
- Work collaboratively with operations on forecasting of raw materials, and partner with operations counterparts to maintain inventory of materials and finished product
- Actively participate in the annual budget process including driving capital equipment needs of the brewery and identifying and executing on cost savings initiatives
- Professional brewing and brewery management experience is required above all else
- BA/BS in Brewing Science, Chemistry, Biology, or Engineering is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years management experience in the professional brewing industry
- Driven to grow your career on a production management track
- Exceptional analytical, decision making, attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Significant experience in sensory and beer analysis is required
- Experience and knowledge of MRP systems, preferably Ekos Brewmaster
- Excellent leadership skills with the proven ability to lead and motivate a team and maintain a positive morale in the workforce
- Experience developing and mentoring employees, and building training programs
- Collaborative workstyle, and experience as a business partner to other functions
- Professional communication skills both verbal and written
- Strong planning & organizational skills with emphasis on execution, and follow through
- A strong understanding of industrial automation, process control and statistics
- An understanding of Laboratory Operations and Quality Control procedures
- Extensive knowledge of industry compliance and safety standards
- A strong work ethic and the ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to change
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 55 pounds and maneuver 170 pounds