Head Brewer & Barrel Master
Vista BrewingApply for this Job
Vista Brewing is searching far and wide for an experienced, educated, detail oriented and ambitious Head Brewer to join our team and help grow our beautiful destination brewery just outside of Austin, TX. Vista has 20-barrel brewhouse with a library of over 100 wine & spirits barrels, a beautiful tasting room, an expansive beer garden and farm table restaurant situated on 21 acres of Texas ranch land. On our property we have an aquifer-fed well, organic farm and 16 hive apiary; all of which contribute to the terroir of Vista’s beers.
The Vista property sits in the middle of one of the fastest growing craft beer communities and at the gateway of one of the most visited wine regions in the country. We have relationships with local wineries, where we source freshly dumped barrels, and are looking for a talented brewer to help us grow this unique program.
The Head Brewer we’re looking for has spent 7+ years commercially brewing in a mature market and has a proven ability to create world-class beers. That experience will enable scaling production to support a busy beer garden, satellite tasting rooms, a targeted distribution footprint, and a significant barreling program. The Head Brewer has the expertise to own production from source to glass, attract and grow a top-notch team, and to continue to grow the brewing program at Vista Brewing that our guests have come to love.
Austin is a vibrant community of artisan enthusiasts. Keeping Austin “weird” is at the heart of what makes it one of the fastest growing cities in the US. As part of the Vista Brewing team, the Head Brewer join this craft community.
To learn more, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be contacting qualified candidates by phone and bringing finalist candidates to Austin for in depth interviews and tastings. We are looking for the right candidate to begin in February or early March.
- Manage the operations of all aspects of the brewing facility – brewery, cellar, packaging, yeast, and grain handling
- Brew current Vista recipes and develop new recipes
- Ownership of brew scheduling, including sourcing, inventory, beer production, packaging and coordination with our winemaker partners on availability and delivery of fresh wine barrels
- Hire, manage and mentor production team members
- Educate and inspire front of house team members
- Participates and bring solutions and ideas to operational and strategic management meetings
- Daily execution of all brewing related tasks in accordance with Vista safety, sanitization and quality standards
- Meticulous sanitization management for both “clean” beer garden beer production and “wild” mixed culture fermentation in steel and wood vessels
- Improve and standardize all beer processing steps with enhanced training and SOP program
- Must be willing to relocate to Austin, TX, but who wouldn’t?!
- 7+ years of commercial brewing experience in a mature craft market
- Extensive experience and understanding of the brewing process, sanitization, yeast health and fermentation, beer transfer and clarification and brewery quality control procedures
- The highest level of professionalism, enthusiasm, positivity and integrity
- A passion for hospitality, craft beer, wine and local food
- National awards, medals, or other recognition for your beers a plus
- Experience working on automated brewhouses (10-30Bbl)
- Proven ability to prioritize and make knowledgeable decisions in a fast-paced, team-focused, dynamic organizational environment
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and teambuilding skills
- Has great attention to detail and takes initiative daily
- Is meticulous about sanitization and has an appreciation for keeping things clean and organized.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs repeatedly and work standing for prolonged periods.
- Mechanical aptitude and knowledge of all brewing and ancillary equipment
Benefits and Perks
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Medical, dental and vision group insurance plan
- Paid PTO
- Assistance with relocation for the right candidate
- Cultural & Fitness subsidy benefits
- Ongoing training and development, including the ability to learn from our onsite farm, apiary and restaurant
- Sponsorship to join industry groups such as the Texas Craft Brewer’s Guild, Brewer’s Association, the Pink Boots Society and more
- Positive and fun company culture, including team building activities
- A beautiful work environment, including Hill Country sunsets galore!
- Free beer!
Vista Brewing is an equal opportunity employer and does not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.
About Vista Brewing
Vista Brewing is a destination brewery in the beautiful Hill Country town of Driftwood, just southwest of Austin, at the gateway to the Texas Wine Trail. The 21-acre ranch includes a brewery, elevated tasting room, farm table kitchen, organic farm, apiary, live music venue and multiple private event spaces.
Vista’s beer program celebrates traditional recipes using Hill Country ingredients, with a range of styles including easy drinking beer garden brews, unique collaboration projects and an award-winning wine barrel aging program. Vista also offers a curated selection of wine & cider along with a full lunch and dinner menu. Vista recently opened a second Tasting Room in Bee Cave, bringing the same “Fresh Air, Fresh Beer” feel to the Hill Country Galleria.
Vista Brewing was named “Best New Brewpub in Austin” from the Austin Beer Guide in 2018 and “Brewery of the Year” from CultureMap Austin in 2019. Vista won “Best Limited Release Beer” from the Austin Beer Guide for two years in a row for Rosanna (2018) and Stonewall (2019). Stonewall (2020) and Hive Mind (2021) were awarded a Good Food Award, which takes into account local sourcing of ingredients and sustainable business operations.