MSP Lead Brewer
Surly Brewing Co.Apply for Job
The Lead Brewer is the front-line supervisor of the brewery. This position oversees all day-to-day brewing and cellar operations, manages brewing staff and works in cooperation with the Head Brewer, VP of Brewing Ops and Quality Manager in developing, implementing and maintaining all standard operating procedures and training to produce quality, consistent and stable beer. The Lead Brewer must enjoy managing people and processes, have an entrepreneurial spirit and be proactive in driving the business forward.
- Ensure a safe work environment and a culture that embraces safe work habits, understanding of the risks, compliance with regulations, and prioritizing corrective action of any identified safety hazards and risks.
- Facilitate the scheduling of all brewery and cellar operations in cooperation with the Head Brewer and Production Manager including CIPs/cleaning, brewing, dry-hop, centrifuge, and spent-grain removal.
- Facilitates the scheduling and management of all Shift Brewers and Senior Brewers to meet the requirements of the production schedule.
- Manage raw ingredient and process aid inventory based on production schedules/forecasts.
- Maintain equipment and operating systems to ensure proper working conditions and coordinate with facilities team to schedule preventative maintenance as needed.
- Perform and troubleshoot all functions of the brewery and cellar.
- Collect and report quality data at the direction of the Head Brewer and Quality Manager.
- Report, evaluate and interpret wort and beer quality daily, including analytical results, process consistency, and taste. Implement changes to improve processes, recipes, beer flavor and consistency as directed by Head Brewer and Quality Manager
- Develop, implement and maintain Standard Operating Procedures and training as directed by Head Brewer.
- Assist the Head Brewer in the hiring and training of all new Shift Brewers based on the pre-determined skill set and experience required.
- Implement methods to educate brewing team on beers, quality management, and problem solving as directed by Head Brewer
- Implement corrective action plans as needed to ensure all core brands match the established quality standards as directed by the Head Brewer and Quality Manager
- Ensure that Production areas are clean and organized at all times.
- Ensure Shift Brewers and Senior Brewers have the tools, knowledge and equipment required to do their jobs.
- Ensure responsible use of brewing resources by reducing process loss throughout the brewing, fermenting, and finishing operations as directed by the Head Brewer.
- Drive continuous process improvement throughout the brewing process as directed by the Head Brewer.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A working knowledge of OSHA requirements and a proven track record of focus on building a safety culture
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, OBeer & Braumat
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize tasks and handle multiple projects
- Able to stand for long periods of time (up to 8-10 hours per day) performing job with and around moving machinery
- 3+ years of progressive experience managing operations in a manufacturing facility, with 3+ years management experience in a packaging brewery
- A BA or BS degree and or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Formal Brewing Education.
- Supervise and mentor the Brewing team.
- This position operates around a ‘mostly’ traditional schedule in an office environment, but can require long hours and evening/weekend work when the demand calls for it. Participation at relevant brewery and other company events is assumed.
THE FINE PRINT
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned. Rather, it’s intended to provide a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.