Fertile Ground Beer Co.Apply for this Job
Fertile Ground Beer Co. is searching for a full-time, salaried head brewer to join its team in Jackson, Mississippi for the opening of a new brewery in late 2021. The ideal candidate will be a creative and innovative brewer capable of operating a 15 bbl brewhouse and managing all aspects of daily brewing facility operations.
About Fertile Ground Beer Co.:
Fertile Ground is a taproom-focused brewery set to open in 2021 in the capital city’s historic and progressive Belhaven neighborhood. The brewery will be located in a former laundry building, the centerpiece for the Belhaven Town Center, an adaptive reuse development which opened its first phase in early 2020 to include several new restaurants. The completed development will include dining, retail, and other small businesses, with the brewery being the anchor.
Fertile Ground is envisioned to be a third space. Third space is a sociocultural term to designate communal space, as distinct from the home (first space) or work (second space). The founders recognized a need for this; a place to gather, socialize and bring families, while incorporating their passion for craft beer.
The brewery will elevate craft beer in the City of Jackson by offering bright, clean, and contemporary beer made with locally-sourced ingredients. It will provide patrons with a large welcoming interior, spacious outdoor area, and access to other attractions in the Belhaven neighborhood.
The brewery occupies 7,000 square feet of the 20,000 square foot laundry building, with an additional 7,000 square feet of outdoor space. Renovations of the building have already begun, and brewing equipment is being ordered. The right candidate would begin in July or early August to create recipes and test brew prior to a fall 2021 opening.
The brewery founders will be contacting qualified candidates by phone and bringing finalist candidates to Jackson for interviews. To learn more, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of the brewing facility: brewing, grain handling, cellaring, filtering and packaging operations;
- Thoughtfully participate in operational management meetings;
- Schedule and manage brewery production and individual brewers and cellar staff;
- Develop recipes for Fertile Ground beer and work with others on development of new products;
- Work with computer programs for recipe development, production tracking, orders and inventory;
- Continually lift, drag, carry and manipulate hoses, parts, pumps, buckets and reservoirs;
- Develop SOP program for brewing operations to ensure consistency and quality of products;
- Perform clean in place of the brewhouse, tanks, cellar equipment, and cooperage;
- Execution of all brewing-related tasks in accordance with Fertile Ground safety, sanitization and quality standards;
- Understand uses of all chemicals and follow OSHA safety standards; and
- Perform routine preventative maintenance and cleaning of equipment and infrastructure.
Th ideal candidate will have:
- Willingness to relocate to Jackson, Mississippi!
- Passion for making great beer;
- 3-5 years commercial brewing experience on at least a 10bbl system (management experience a plus);
- Ability to brew traditional and innovative styles of beer (national awards a plus);
- Knowledge of market trends and ability to create kick ass recipes capitalizing on those trends;
- Positive outlook and attitude, and the ability to think on your feet;
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time;
- Excellent time management skills and self-motivation;
- Ability to work in a diverse environment, flexible hours with some weekend and/or overnight shifts as needed;
- Ability to develop and maintain SOP’s of brewery;
- Capability of drawing on past experience to provide valuable input in a rapidly growing brewery;
- Willingness to continually develop their professional brewing skill set through reading and industry resources;
- Ability to develop and mentor staff effectively;
- Ability to bend over, twist, kneel, stand for the duration of a shift;
- Lift 55 pounds and maneuver 25 pounds repeatedly.
- Ability to work quickly, efficiently and autonomously, while maintaining safety and quality standards; and
- Extreme attention to detail, as well as strong organizational and communication skills.
Benefits and perks:
- Salary commensurate with experience;
- Medical, dental and vision group insurance plan;
- Paid PTO;
- Assistance with relocation for the right candidate;
- Fitness subsidy benefits;
- Ongoing training and development; and
- Sponsorship to join industry groups such as the Mississippi Brewer’s Guild, the Brewer’s Association, the Pink Boots Society and more.
About Belhaven and Jackson:
The historic Belhaven neighborhood in Jackson is home to numerous businesses, chef inspired and locally owned restaurants, artists, and one of the most popular August events in the Southeast. The Bright Lights Belhaven Nights annual music festival attracts several thousand people to the neighborhood. Attendees travel from neighboring states to enjoy three stages filled with live music, local artisans, and restaurants. In addition to the commercial and artistic attributes, Belhaven was designated as one of American Planning Association’s “Great Neighborhoods in America 2014.”
Jackson is known as the “City With Soul” because of her perseverance and her triumphant spirit. Steeped in southern culture, Jackson is home to a multitude of world-class painters, sculptors, dancers, actors, architects, photographers, filmmakers, musicians, and artisans of many disciplines. She’s birthed many historical marks that have shaped this country and beyond, from Civil Rights, to music, to world-class museums and exhibits, to thriving festivals and events, to award-winning attractions to James Beard Foundation chefs and restaurants. The beautifully changing seasons of Jackson offer numerous fall and holiday events rich with tradition, surprising spring flings for shaking off winter’s chill and laid-back summer celebrations that detour off the fast lane.