Shift Brewer - Craft Brewery
Paperback BrewingApply for this Job
Shift Brewer Job Description
Paperback Brewing Company is expanding its talent at our brewery in Glendale California. The ideal candidate will fit the qualifications of the job and be prepared to work in a dynamically changing, team-focused environment.
Brewer is capable of performing all duties of the Assistant Brewer and Cellar Person as necessary. Production brewing experience is preferred but at least some head brewing experience is essential. Brewer will have some solo brewing duties from a team approach, meaning all brewlogs must be well maintained and documented so one brewer can seamlessly take over for another at shift changes. Likely starting later in the morning or afternoon on some 3 or 4 brew cycle days. Equipment maintenance will also be a regular duty; expect to be trained by the Brewmaster to perform oil and membrane replacements on the compressor and RO system. Occasional supervision and directing of the Assistant Brewer or Cellar Person will occur. This is an hourly position for approximately 34-40 hours per week with occasional overtime. Reports to the Brewmaster.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Work shifts each week in a safe and efficient manner.
- Learn and adhere to standard operating and safety procedures in wort production, vessel cleaning and sanitation, yeast handling, fermentation and maturation, sample collecting and filtration operations.
- Ensure a clean and sanitary working environment
- Communicate with all relevant departments to ensure safety, quality and efficiency.
- Understand and adhere to recipes and formulas.
- Complete, enter and maintain daily brewhouse and cellar records.
- Troubleshoot and report all mechanical issues within the department.
- Study and understand all brewhouse and cellar works in progress, knowing the age, gravity and biological status of each product.
- Assist in cycle counts and end of month inventory procedures.
- Attend and participate in departmental and all company meetings.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
- At least 2 years of professional brewing experience.
- Proven ability to contribute to a successful team.
- Extensive experience and understanding of the brewing process, sanitation, yeast health and fermentation, beer transfer and clarification and brewery quality control procedures.
- Formal brewing education is favorable.
- Extremely high level of attention to detail.
- Positive attitude with an ongoing sense of urgency.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Proven ability to work with others.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- A flexible schedule with the ability to work nights and weekends.
- Advanced mathematical and reasoning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong overall understanding of safety procedures, regulations and requirements.
- Must be able to lift 65 pounds and move 175 pounds regularly.
- Must have the ability to regularly stand, walk, use hands, reach, climb, work from heights, stoop, kneel and crouch.
- The ability to work near moving parts and machinery.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, the ability to adjust focus and the ability to see color; either with or without accommodation.
- The ability to work in loud, wet, cold, hot, indoor and outdoor environments frequently.
If you believe you have the qualifications and positive attitude needed for this role, submit your resume with pay history and a cover letter defining why you are the right candidate for this exciting job opportunity.