Brewery Process Engineer
Alaskan Brewing CompanyApply for Job
Alaskan Brewing Company is searching for a Brewery Process Engineer to join the Brew Crew!
Position: Brewery Process Engineer
Salary Range: Salaried exempt, DOE
Hours: 45 hrs/wk average annually; some seasonal fluctuation to match seasonal production demands
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, paid time off, Employee Stock Ownership, AD&D, Life Insurance, Identity Theft Protection, Employee Assistance, group rate Pet Insurance, employment perks, and more!
A Little About Us:
Alaskan Brewing Company is an award-winning craft brewery located in Juneau, Alaska. At Alaskan Brewing, our vision is to be a leader in the Craft Brewing Industry, focused on quality, community, and innovation. Alaskan Brewing Company remains locally owned and operated with the same core group of original investors, plus employee-investors and an employee stock ownership plan. Our core values are ethical, excellence, rooted in Alaska; with a continuing priority of making our workplace safe, fun, challenging, innovative and environmentally proactive.
The Brewery Process Engineer is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining systems and processes that ensure continuous improvement of the production of craft beverages. This includes:
- Overseeing and assessing existing processes and workflows
- Optimizing productivity by designing, testing, and implementing new procedures
- Documenting and reporting of process status and changes
- Tracking and utilizing metrics
- Overseeing equipment selection, building, installation, programming, and commissioning
- Utilizing process simulation software
- Providing instruction for successful implementation of process changes
- Conducting risk assessments
- Assessing compliance with applicable safety and quality standards
Reporting to the Quality Assurance Manager, this person supports operations in a customer service oriented role and works with multiple internal and external customers to complete complex projects while maintaining reliable production operations. Special knowledge and skills required include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience managing projects in food processing, or similar industries
- Engineering experience with brewing equipment is strongly preferred, experience with food processing equipment is desirable
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and CAD (AutoCAD preferred)
- Proficiency with Allen Bradley, Brewmaxx and/or Siemens PLCs and controls hardware is required
- Familiarity with SCADA platforms, Ignition and Braumat preferred
- Familiarity with Enterprise Resource Planning Systems and Manufacturing Execution Systems for process control preferred
Challenges of the position include the remote location. Some of the machinery and systems currently in place were implemented out of necessity to address those challenges. Unique and essential systems include:
- High speed can line capable of running three different package SKUs simultaneously, integrated with a high-speed bottle line’s conveyance and drop packer, with automated end of line systems
- CO2 reclamation system
- A patented biomass boiler to produce steam for the brewhouse from dried spent grain – Beer Powered Beer!
- Automated variety pack line for bottle and can mixed backs
- Automated water deaeration system
Live. Life. Alaskan. Our Brew Crew have a passion for the outdoors and the Alaskan lifestyle; we are hikers, bikers, wildlife watchers, boaters, anglers, photographers, skiers, snowboarders, rock-climbers, foragers, beach goers, dog-walkers and all-around enthusiasts who enjoy taking our brews out on a good adventure. Juneau is located in the heart of the Tongas National Forest and many of the ingredients we use, like spruce tips and glacial-fed water, are found in our backyard. While Juneau is the state capital, the population is only about 30,000; you can meet new faces and still enjoy a small-town feel. Juneau has its fair share of rainy days, but they seldom dampen the pioneer spirit we all share. From our vibrant summer packed with daylight and tourists, to our slower winters of countless cross country and downhill skiing opportunities, Juneau offers a wide variety of ways to live life Alaskan. Here at Alaskan Brewing Company, we are deeply rooted in our community. Our employee events, volunteer opportunities, and annual fundraisers keep us actively involved locally, nationally and in this exciting industry of ours.