Canning Line Crew Lead
The Beer'd Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Canning Line Crew Lead
The Beer’d Brewing Co. - Groton, CT
Reports to Head Brewers
Full-Time (Non-Exempt) (40 hours)
Beer’d Brewing was opened in 2012 with a three-barrel brewhouse focusing on hop forward Ales and has grown to produce 9,000 BBLs annually. With a taproom foreword approach The Beer’d Brewing Company also maintains a sizeable self-distribution model within Connecticut and partners with wholesalers for distribution in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
The Beer’d Brewing Company has two facilities one located in Stonington with a 15 bbl brewhouse and the second located in Groton with a 20 bbl brewhouse. This position will assist the Head Brewer and ensure implementation of all standard operating procedures to maintain consistency, quality, and efficiency throughout the production process. A thorough understanding of all aspects of beer production, including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, packaging, and QA/QC is required.
The Canning Line Crew Lead is responsible for performing a variety of fundamental and support tasks befitting a production brewery, including all cellar, packaging, canning, bottling, and general housekeeping operations, with assistance in brewhouse and maintenance duties as needed. We are looking for someone that take initiative and jumps in where needed, even if that means multitasking!
This individual will be focused on the canning line and must maintain a clean and organized work area. The Canning Line Crew Lead will report to the Head Brewers. They will be the lead of the canning crew when scheduled to work.
- Supports The Beer’d Brewing Co.’s Core Values and Focus
- Responsible for maintaining a clean, organized and safe canning environment (e.g. scrubbing floors, cleaning benches, removing trash, organized cold room, etc.)
- Monitors and runs packaging machinery including quality control equipment (Anton Parr)
- Troubleshoots beer condition and mechanical problems
- Responsible for canning inventory (cans, labels, lids, distilled water, etc) – notifies Head Brewers when inventory need to be ordered
- Packaging finished product (cans/bottles)
- Assist with training canning crew
- Performs preventative maintenance on packaging machinery including quality control equipment
- Be a backup to the Stonington location when needed
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Love for being organized
- Extreme attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills to clearly and effectively articulate with the production team
- Must become Cicerone Level 1 Beer Server Certified within six months of hire. If this is not achieved, a plan of action will be put in place.
- Entrepreneurial team spirit: willing to take initiative and jump in where needed; resourceful in making suggestions and offering solutions
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills: ability to quickly assess a situation and solve problems in a timely and effective manner
- Proactive in anticipating potential problems or obstacles, including maintenance issues
- Be receptive to continual innovation and improvements
- Strong safety and quality mindset and diligence in adhering to SOPs
- Possesses mechanical aptitude
- Ability to manage and adapt effectively to multiple, changing priorities
- Effective and efficient time management capabilities
- Dependent independence: ability to work independently but also know when to seek direction/guidance appropriately and as needed
- May assist with vetting and hiring canning crew staff.
- Assist Head Brewers with performance reviews of canning crew members.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Minimum of a High school diploma or GED/TASC required
- Minimum of 1-year professional brewery experience or successful completion of a professional brewing certificate program. We will consider candidates who have experience working in a craft brewery environment
- Flexibility to work varied shifts with advanced notice (e.g. some weekend and evenings)
- Awareness of proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and demonstrated ability to follow safety procedures while operating in a manufacturing environment with industrial and mechanical equipment
- Fork lift certification a plus
- Passion and dedication in helping to make great beer
- A discerning and educated palate preferred
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Employees will be scheduled 7am-3:30pm, with flexibility as needed. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Must be open and able to travel by all methods. This position requires you to be able to travel to both breweries.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The employee may work with hazardous materials and utilities.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee may at times work around high voltage, flame, hot water, steam, broken glass, and CO2 sources.
- The employee frequently works in a sanitary environment.
- The employee may sometimes work near moving mechanical parts.
The Beer’d Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer, practicing equality of employment and advancement opportunities to all regardless of race, creed, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, learning disability, mental disability, physical disability, veteran status, or any other protected group status under federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment; including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation, and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.