Commonhouse AleworksApply for this Job
Commonhouse Aleworks is seeking a skilled, enthusiastic and hardworking craft beer lover to join our growing team in the brewhouse in a cellar person capacity. The right candidate will be safety-minded, efficient, quality-focused, have a great work ethic, a positive attitude and be a team player.The primary focus of this position, but not exclusively, is providing support to our brewing team through various cellaring and brewing activities. The position is extremely task driven and needs an individual who is able to multi-task and deal with the production team, suppliers and the entire Commonhouse team as a whole, with attention to detail being of the utmost importance. This role will touch all areas of the brewhouse from time to time; production, cellaring, inventory, packaging, data entry and processing, etc.
The Cellar Person will report directly to our Head Brewer and will be actively involved in all facets of day-to-day operation from the receipt and processing of raw materials to the packaging and shipping of finished beer. General job duties include cellar work, kegging, bottling/ canning, cleaning, and more cleaning.
General cellar operations
Quality control and assurance
Assisting brewing team with brewing related issues, projects
Monitoring fermentation (gravity, pH, cell counts, etc.), sampling, and conducting taste panels.
Maintaining accurate and legible records and entering into brewery enterprise software (EKOS BREWMASTER).
Troubleshooting equipment problems within the brewhouse
Beer transfers – tank to tank/prep beers for packaging
Raw ingredient management/ measurement per recipes/ SOPs
Basic brewhouse operation
Helping to maintain quality assurance and control procedures
Packaging of draft, bottled, and canned product
Yeast harvesting, storage, and cell counting
Cellar and cold box cleaning
Cleaning, sanitation and maintenance of brewhouse equipment and cellar tanks and equipment
Assisting other team members as needed
Proper handling of chemicals required for sanitization and cleaning of equipment
Understanding and practicing all internal safety standards
Being an everyday ambassador for Commonhouse beer
Other duties as assigned
Experience & Requirements
- Passion for all things craft beer with a focus on the local community
- Minimum High School diploma or equivalent
- Good troubleshooting skills, and strong mechanical/electrical aptitude
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A problem solver with attention to detail
- Strong work ethic
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to think critically and work both independently and within a team, with minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain detailed electronic documentation for all batches, processes, cleaning, and maintenance
- Enjoy working under pressure and at a fast pace
- Experience handling chemicals with an emphasis on cleaning and sanitizing protocols
- Experience in a production environment preferred; experience with brewing considered an asset.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive motions for extended periods of time
- Must be able to frequently lift up to 50-100 pounds
- Must have a flexible schedule. Occasional Saturday and Sundays may be required.
- Understanding and appreciation of the craft beer lifestyle