Urban Growler Brewing CompanyApply for this Job
Position: Urban Growler Brewing Company is looking for an experienced Master of Brewing to join our team.
Location: St. Paul, MN.
Who We Are: Located in St. Paul, Urban Growler is the first woman owned microbrewery in Minnesota. Our beer is handcrafted in 10-barrel batches in our 4-vessel steam brewhouse. We make traditional beers like CowBell Cream Ale, and non-traditional beers with a local twist through our Plow to Pint® Series and specialties. We sell beer in our taproom and self-distribute kegs and cans. Our current production is 2000 bbls per year and we are growing organically to 5000 bbl. We aim to make craft beer more approachable to everyone.
Who we’re looking For: We are looking for a Master Brewer that is a team player with great interpersonal and proven leadership skills to work in and oversee all aspects of the brewery.
The ideal Master Brewer will want to work to produce a wide variety of styles in a non-routine production environment. A unique feature of our facility is the ability to make small batches and develop recipes based on customer input and product innovations. The Master Brewer will have the opportunity to showcase their work in an environment where we will allow and encourage innovation or new ideas that meet the company mission and goals. We are a small brewery with a proven track record on the way up. If you want to join us on the adventure, read on!
What you should have:
· Professional Brewing Education required - certification from Seibel Institute or UC Davis, etc.
· Brewery skills - You can safely work in all areas of the brewery and provide leadership and management to brewing staff
· 4-year degree preferred in brewing, microbiology, food science, fermentation, chemistry or related field
· Some experience with high gravity brewing preferred; experience using a Wild Goose canning line – preferred but not required
· Strong background in production &/or quality assurance
- Must have obsession with cleaning and sanitization
· At least 3 years experience at a senior leadership level brewing position
· At least 3 years managing people – hiring, scheduling, managing performance and growth plans
· Expert skills with the EKOS inventory tracking and planning software
· Strong interpersonal skills are required; must be approachable, like people, be open to ideas and all levels of understanding of beer; must be able to communicate about beer with all types of people and demonstrate strong customer engagement skills
· Must have strong mechanical skills and ability to solve problems proactively
· Public speaking and training skills are a plus
· Hours are Monday – Friday, must be flexible in work times based on brewing schedule
· Personal attributes for success – honest and hard-working with a passion for beer and quality. Desire and ability to take ownership of the brewing process and embrace continuous improvement.
The Master Brewer Will:
· Be a hands-on leader that excels at managing the business of brewing
· Lead and manage the brewing team
· Be responsible for maintaining quality and consistency; ability to identify and resolve quality issues in canned and kegged product
· Responsible for maintenance on all brewing and draft equipment; have ability to fix almost anything – or problem solve how to get things fixed
· Responsible for raw material ordering and sourcing along with accurate use of the EKOS inventory tracking and planning software
· Experience in production planning and ability to meet sales forecasts
· Interest in and proven track record in developing new products
· At times step into any position in the brewery; includes ability and expertise to work with canning line
· Be responsible for increasing brewery output by working smarter and continuously improving
· Be involved in strategic planning and other management team activities
· Be a team player working harmoniously with sales, taproom, leadership team and owners
· Engage positively with customers, providing tours of operation, public brewing classes
· Provide staff skills they need to effectively sell products
· Provide reliable record keeping and maintaining of traceability
· Embrace diversity and inclusion
· Write and maintain SOPs
· Follow OSHA standards and operate as the brewery safety officer
If this sounds like you and you can totally get behind the Urban Growler mission to bring people together through beer - Please Apply!
· Capable of standing for long periods of time
· Able to lift up to 75 lbs.
· Capable of safe and competent work on and around potentially hazardous machinery, equipment, chemicals and systems
· Able to work in an environment with high noise
Compensation & Benefits: Annual salary $60,000-$70,000 range, commensurate with experience. Potential for bonus. Health Insurance, Paid Time Off.
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance