@@img1PLEASANTON, CA – Kern’s Beverages, LLC, known for their whole fruit nectars and Original Horchata, is pleased to introduce Kern’s(R) Mango Horchata and Coffee Horchata (pronounced “or CHAT a”).
Horchata is a traditional Mexican beverage made with milk, rice, and a hint of cinnamon, commonly served from big glass “jaras” at street stands and in Mexican restaurants. New Mango and Coffee Horchatas are unique and refreshing variations of Kern’s Original Horchata.
Mary Tarczynski, Marketing Director at Kern’s, commented, “Kern’s already brings the delicious authentic taste of Horchata to the convenience of your grocer’s dairy case. Now we have two unique blends that appeal to consumers of all ages and ethnic backgrounds.”
Kern’s introduced its Original Horchata in 2003. The single SKU is a solid performer with retail volume up +26% this year. (Nielsen, 12 WE 3.25.06). Research suggests that Mango and Coffee will be enthusiastically received by both Hispanic and general market consumers. Kern’s Horchata is packaged in 64oz cartons and typically shelved with refrigerated juice blends at a retail price of $2.99 – $3.29.
Kern’s Horchata can be found in Albertsons, Food 4 Less, Food City, Frye’s, Raley’s, Ralph’s, Safeway, SaveMart, Stater Brothers, Vons, and independent grocery stores in California, Arizona, and Nevada and Wal*Mart stores in those three states plus Texas and New Mexico.
Cinco de Mayo and Other Latin Influences on U.S. Culture
Cinco de Mayo commemorates the victory of Mexicans over the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Latinos and non-Latinos celebrate the occasion with fiestas nationwide.
Kern’s reminds Americans of other Latin influences on U.S. culture:
– The United States has over 41.3 million citizens of Hispanic descent coming from many countries. They now form the largest minority group in the U.S.
– President George Bush is the first U.S. President to give his national radio address in Spanish and English. He first did so on Cinco de Mayo 2001.
– In several cities in California, Texas, and Florida more than 80% of the population speaks Spanish at home.
– There are many cities, towns, and streets with Hispanic-origin names throughout the U.S.
– “Dora The Explorer” has become one of the most successful television
characters among preschoolers and has grown into a billion-dollar-a-year retail empire.
– Many Hispanic Americans are serving in influential national, state,
and local government positions and are popular artists, actors, and entertainers.
Create Your Own Cinco de Mayo Fiesta!
– Serve refreshing Kern’s Mango Horchata over ice in a tall red glass. It’s the perfect compliment to spicy foods!
– Line a basket with some bright napkins, add your favorite tortilla chips, and serve with Kern’s Pineapple~Mango Salsa in a red bowl on a colorful tablecloth.
– Fire up the grill for the Pineapple~Mango Salsa over grilled fish.
Place on a large colorful serving plate or line a platter with colorful napkins.
Kern’s(R) Pineapple~Mango Salsa over grilled fish ~Double recipe to make extra salsa for dipping chips
1 cup diced pineapple
3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced fresh mango
1/2 cup Mango Kern’s Nectar
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 (4 ounces each) skinless firm white fish fillets
Combine pineapple, bell pepper, onion, mango, nectar, cilantro, crushed red pepper, cumin and salt in medium bowl; cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Bring to room temperature.
Grill fish for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Top with salsa.
Visit http://www.kerns.com/ for more recipes and to download a $.75 coupon off 64oz Kern’s Horchata.
Horchata has roots in many lands
While Horchata may be known best among people of Mexican descent, Horchata has roots among many ethnicities. Horchata originated in ancient Egypt where tigernuts (chufa) were one of the earliest domesticated crops. In Ecuador, sesame seeds are used. In El Salvador, Horchata is typically flavored with ground cocoa plus cinnamon and sesame seeds. In Spain, Horchata refers to orxata de xufes (horchata de chufas), made from tigernuts, water, and sugar and served over ice.
About Kern’s Beverages, LLC
Julius Kerns established Kern’s Food Products in the 1920’s. Kern’s began producing juice drinks for the Libby’s company in the 1970’s and was acquired by Nestle in 1985. Nestle sold the brand in 2004 and now Kern’s Beverages, LLC is an independent company owned by key members of the management team and Stremick’s Heritage Foods, a Southern California based maker of dairy, rice, and other “good for you” beverages.