HAMILTON, Bermuda, June 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Take a virtual trip around the world to learn more about the Bacardi Limited Good Spirited global sustainability initiative directly from the people involved. Hear from Bacardi Chairman Facundo L. Bacardi, SVP of Global Operations Jon Grey, VP of Corporate Communications Patricia M. Neal, Global Technical DirectorStuart Lowthian, as well as various Bacardi employees and collaborators from around the world as they discuss what the Company is doing to reach its vision of a net zero environmental impact.
An on-demand video showcasing the industry-leading effort to return to the environment at least as much as we take away will be available 24/7 through June 30 via:
“The Good Spirited initiative is tied to the Bacardi legacy and critical to our growth. It’s a bold commitment we are making as a company for the future of our world and our business,” said Mr. Bacardi, the great-great grandson of Bacardi founder Don Facundo Bacardi Masso. “Equally important, we are making this commitment to our customers and consumers, who also want to be more sustainable. So please join us in taking steps to build a more sustainable future by being Good Spirited.”
In support of the upcoming World Environment Day, the Good Spirited video features corporate and brand related efforts withinthe United States and Puerto Rico, Mexico, England, Scotland, Switzerland, Italy, Fiji and Bermuda including:
- Sustainable sourcing of 100% of cardboard cases for BACARDI® rum in North America
- Building of green-certified distillery for BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin in England
- Responsibly sourcing more than 100 botanicals used in MARTINI® vermouth, grapes for MARTINI® Italian sparkling wine, sugarcane for BACARDI® rums, and 12 botanicals for BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® East gin
- Crafting lighter weight glass bottles for MARTINI® Asti equivalent to the carbon emission impact of taking 330 cars off the road annually
- Working with sugarcane farmers in Fiji to develop sustainable business practices to improve water quality around the Great Sea Reef
- Moving from steel to plastic conveyor belts in Glasgow, Scotland, at the DEWAR’S® and WILLIAM LAWSON’S® bottling lines results in monthly water savings equal to what a person uses in a lifetime
- Plans for biomass boilers – fueled by wood chips and agave plants – to be installed at the Scotch whisky distillery in Aberfeldy, Scotland, and the CAZADORES® tequila facility in Arandas, Mexico, to decrease GHG emissions and water use
- Recycling 98.6% of the Company’s total waste at production facilities around the world
- App tracking employees personal and work related acts of green to lessen environmental impacts in daily life
By raising the bar with responsible suppliers, streamlined packaging and more efficient operations, Bacardi gives consumers of today – and the future – more of what they expect and deserve: sustainably good spirits.
Since the world’s largest privately held spirits company began tracking its global impacts on the environment in 2006, Bacardi has reduced energy use by more than 25% and water use by 54%. Building on current programs and efficiencies that reduce water and energy use and greenhouse gas emissions, the Bacardi Limited Good Spirited global sustainability program sets specific goals in three areas in order to achieve a vision of a net zero impact:
- Responsible Sourcing: Bacardi strives to obtain all raw materials and packaging from sustainably sourced, renewable or recycled materials while maintaining or enhancing the economic status of growers and suppliers. By 2017, the goal is to obtain 40% of the sugarcane-derived products used to make BACARDI rum from certified, sustainable sources – and 100% by 2022. This pledge from Bacardi is an industry first.
- Global Packaging: Bacardi commits to use eco-friendly design to craft sustainability into its brand packaging and point-of-sale materials. By 2017, Bacardi plans to reduce the weight of its packaging by 10% and achieve 15% by 2022.
- Operational Efficiencies: Bacardi continues to focus on reducing water use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions with a 2017 goal to cut water use by 55% and GHG emissions by 50%. In addition, Bacardi aims to eliminate landfill waste at all of its production sites by 2022.
To learn even more about Bacardi Limited and its “Good Spirited: Building a Sustainable Future” environmental initiative for sourcing, packaging and operational efficiencies across the entire Bacardi family of premium spirits brands, please visithttp://www.bacardilimited.com/good-spirited.
About Bacardi Limited
Bacardi Limited, the largest privately held spirits company in the world, produces and markets internationally recognized spirits and wines. The Bacardi brand portfolio comprises more than 200 brands and labels, including BACARDI® rum, the world’s best-selling and most-awarded rum, as well as the world’s most-awarded spirit; GREY GOOSE® vodka, the world’s leading super-premium vodka; DEWAR’S® Blended Scotch whisky, the world’s most-awarded blended Scotch; BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, the top-valued and fastest-growing premium gin in the world; MARTINI® vermouth and sparkling wines, the world’s leading vermouth and the world’s favorite Italian sparkling wines; CAZADORES® 100% blue agave tequila, one of the most popular premium tequilas in Mexico and the United States; and other leading and emerging brands including WILLIAM LAWSON’S®, the fastest-growing global Scotch whisky brand; ERISTOFF® vodka, one of the fastest-growing vodka brands in the world; and ST-GERMAIN®, a super-premium elderflower liqueur.
Founded 152 years ago in Santiago de Cuba on February 4, 1862, family-owned Bacardi employs nearly 6,000 people, manufactures its brands at 28 facilities and sells in more than 150 countries. Bacardi Limited refers to the Bacardi group of companies, including Bacardi International Limited.