This step is just the latest in several that Montanya has taken to live out its green philosophy. Other examples for how Montanya makes environmentally-friendly business decisions includes:
- Purchasing sugar cane directly from a Louisiana family farm, before refining occurs, allowing Montanya to use a cane product that requires much less energy, while retaining natural flavors. The sugar cane mill exclusively uses sugar cane biomass to generate energy.
- Heating the distillery and tasting room with its own stills.
- Avoiding plastic in all packaging.
- Using compostable corn cups for special events.
- Using compostable straws and high recycled-content cocktail napkins in Montanya’s tasting room.
- Renovating two historic buildings to accommodate Montanya’s distilleries (both in Silverton, Colo. and Crested Butte, Colo.).
- Using a solar wall for Montanya’s barrel room.
“We’re excited to be partnering with a company that truly exemplifies the responsible practices we all want from businesses in our communities,” said Arcadia Power co-founder, Kiran Bhatraju. “Renewable power used to be impractical for most families and businesses, but Montanya shows us that today, it’s possible for all of us to do our part to combat climate change. They are pioneers in a growing movement that will lead us to a cleaner, safer, more sustainable energy future.”
About Montanya Distillers
Montanya Distillers, located in Crested Butte, Colo., is a craft rum distillery in the heart of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Its distilling process uses old-world artisan traditions, combining science with art. By using just four natural American ingredients, Montanya has created aged rums that have been awarded 18 Gold and Silver medals in international competitions. These rums reflect both Montanya Distillers’ mountain culture and a new American rum tradition. Montanya produces Platino Light rum, Oro Dark rum, and a brand new, longer-aged, limited-edition rum called The Exclusiva. The company was named the 2013 Craft Distillery of the Year by the American Distilling Institute. Learn more at MontanyaRum.com.
About Arcadia Power
Arcadia Power is the first nationwide Clean Energy option. By partnering with wind and solar projects, Arcadia Power provides homes and businesses with 100% pollution-free energy via local utilities. Members support their values through their monthly energy bills, decreasing demand for fossil fuels and helping to grow American green jobs and power. Arcadia Power partners with sustainability-minded companies and organizations to combat climate change and secure a better future for our planet. For more information, visit www.arcadiapower.com.