Course: Business Planning
This course focuses on resources needed to initially plan out your business including information about business plans, pitch decks, tax-planning and efficient business strategies.
Business Plans and Pitch Decks
- What is a business plan? What is it used for and what should be included in it?
- What are some mistakes entrepreneurs make while drafting a business plan?
- What is a pitch deck and what are the components of a successful one?
- What are the key elements investors look at when evaluating a business plan?
- Who should be some of the first people to view my pitch deck & business plan?
Route to Market Methodology
- What are the trade-offs on making the product on my own versus co-packing?
- Are there options when determining the route on where to sell my product?
- I know I can’t go it alone, how do I build the best possible team?
- Should I expect to operate at a lost at first? If so, for how long until I break even?
- What is a bottoms up plan?
- What should I budget for and how do I go about crafting realistic budgets?
- How do I price my product?
- How will a board help my business?
- What do I need to have prior to approaching a potential board member?
Small Business Administration
- What is the SBA and what do you do?
- What is considered a small business and how do I make sure I qualify?
- What are some services the SBA provides and are there industry specific officials to help me with the process?
- How do you get an appointment with the SBA?
- The SBA has an "Analyze Your Business" tool on the site. What is this tool able to help an entrepreneur do?
- What are some resources the SBA offers that may surprise a new business owner?
- What are some resources you offer to help start a business?
- What are some of the loan programs the SBA offers and do you offer assistance with the application process?
- Can you talk to me about some grants (government, non-profit) available to small businesses and the regulations associated with them?
- How can the SBA help small businesses in terms of exporting packaged foods/beverages?
- Can you talk about the STEP Program and what it does?
- How can someone find out about if they qualify?
- Does the SBA work with a lot of food and beverage businesses?
- What are some of the typical issues you see when working with them?
- What should I have prepared to bring when I meet with the SBA?
- What is SCORE and how does it related to the SBA?
Harvard Innovations Lab
- What is the Harvard Innovations Lab and how does it work?
- Do they host all kinds of entrepreneurs?
- What stage in the startup process must you be to join iLab?
- Can anybody join or does it have to be Harvard Students?
- What kinds of support and resources does the iLab offer?
- Do they offer networking opportunities?
- How long is the program and how long can you use the iLab’s resources?
- What are some of the biggest tax issues you seen for small businesses?
- What’s a typical tax strategy?
- What are tax deductions?
- What are tax credits?
- What are some ways to improving profits for your company?
- What areas does an accountant look at to help a company save money and improve efficiency?
- What are some ways/examples that a business accountant can help and plan a business for growth?