Beverage Processing: High Pressure Processing
Joyce Longfield, CEO of JL Nutrition and Food, discusses some of the finer points of High Pressure Processing(HPP) and food safety. In particular Longfield discusses how important product pH levels are and common safety issues that all product manufacturers should be aware of.
Table of Contents
- What type of food or beverage products work best with High Pressure Processing?
- What are some of the biggest challenges or hurdles that you find brands face when starting to use High Pressure Processing?
- Do certain HPP products raise a red flag of concern with the FDA or Retailers? For example Juices vs. Nut Based Milk vs. Coconut Water?
- When considering ingredients for my products, which have a high acid content and which do not?
- Are there different HPP conditions for Low Acid Beverages(High pH) vs. High Acid Beverages(Low pH)?
- Are there any concerns for HPP treated low acid beverages?
- What is hold time when referred to when discussing High Pressure Processing?
- Are there any particular ingredients that need special consideration when HPP is used?
- How long of a shelf life can I have for raw or unpasteurized beverage products?
- Can I use the word RAW when using High Pressure Processing?