SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE) — Jones Soda Co. (the Company) (NASDAQ: JSDA), a leader in the premium soda category and known for its unique branding and innovative marketing, today announced results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2011. The Company reported revenue of $4.1 million for first quarter, an increase of $194,000, or 5%, over the same quarter of the prior year, which contributed to an increase in gross profit of 24%, to $1.0 million. Net loss for the quarter was $1.7 million, or ($0.05) per share, a 22% improvement from the first quarter 2010 net loss of $2.1 million, or ($0.08) per share.
William Meissner, President & Chief Executive Officer, stated, “We continued to deliver solid year-over-year improvement, highlighted by our first quarter of revenue growth in more than two years. We believe that we are successfully executing our strategy of expanding our core product lines, as evidenced by a 13% increase in case sales through our DSD channel of Jones Soda glass and WhoopAss Energy Drink compared to a year ago.”
First Quarter Highlights — Comparison of Quarters ended March 31, 2011 and March 31, 2010
- Revenue increased 5% to $4.1 million, compared to $3.9 million in the first quarter of 2010.
- Gross profit increased 24% to $1.0 million, compared to $808,000 in the corresponding period a year ago. Gross profit margin increased 3.7% to 24.5%.
- Operating expenses decreased 5% to $2.8 million compared to $2.9 million in the prior year.
- Net loss improved 22% to $1.7 million, or ($0.05) per share, from the first quarter of 2010 net loss of $2.1 million, or ($0.08) per share.
- Cash used in operations was $2.1 million versus cash used in operations of $2.5 million during the first quarter of 2010. Cash as of March 31, 2011 increased $136,000 as a result of completing the final draw down under the now-terminated equity line credit arrangement for net proceeds of approximately $2.2 million.
- Inventories were $2.5 million as of March 31, 2011, down $1.3 million compared to inventories of $3.8 million as of March 31, 2010, due to our transition out of underperforming product lines.
“Our decision to exit underperforming categories contributed to the improvement in our gross profitability and bottom line,” continued Mr. Meissner. “We are pleased with our start to the year and believe we have the right plan in place and the financial flexibility to continue our positive momentum.”
About Jones Soda Co.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Jones Soda Co.® markets and distributes premium beverages under the Jones Soda, Jones Pure Cane Soda® and Whoopass Energy Drink® brands and sells through its distribution network, which it refers to as its direct store delivery (DSD) channel, in markets primarily across North America. A leader in the premium soda category, Jones is known for its variety of flavors and innovative labeling technique that incorporates always-changing photos sent in from its consumers. Jones Soda is sold through traditional beverage retailers. For more information, visit www.jonessoda.com or www.myjones.com.