Course: Staffing and Advisory Boards
Building a Team
- How important are your first hires?
- What are the key roles within a beverage organization?
- What kind of planning should be put into the structure of the team that you are building?
- How do I know who to hire first?
- What role should my board of advisors play when looking to hire?
- How do I screen candidates?
- What is the process to ask for and check references?
- What's the right way to make an offer? (e.g. low ball them? make my best offer?)
- What happens when the candidate makes a counteroffer?
- What is the importance of maintaining my current company culture?
- When do you know when to make an offer to someone?
- What can I do to attract top talent for my key roles?
- How important are benefits?
- We are still in bootstrap mood but we need more hands on deck, Is an ownership stake equal to a lower base salary?
- Is structuring bonuses negotiable?
- How important are employee contracts?
- How do I manage off site employees?
- Where and how do I find hourly demo and marketing employees?
- Is part-time or seasonal help an option for me?
- What are some key qualities to look for in a sales manager?
- Should my prospective hires have experience in the beverage industry?
- What is the best way to mediate between my company and employee who is not working out?
- How do I let go of an employee?
- When I will know to hire someone as a consulting role or a full time role?
Board Members and Advisors
- At what point during my company growth is it a good time to start a board?
- Where can I find potential board members?
- What type of equity or compensation are board members looking for?
- How many people do you suggest comprise a board?
- Do board members have to know each other before joining a board?
- What are some typical roles of board members? Do they simply offer insight or do they also actively partake in positions within the company or help pitch the product?
- What’s the role of an advisor when it comes to a food or beverage company?
- Should an entrepreneur look to build a team of advisors?
- What makes a good advisor?
- When an entrepreneur is looking for an advisor what are some of the ways they can locate that person?
- What are advisors looking for in terms in compensation?
- Cash or Equity? Is a startup best served using one option versus another when it comes to compensating advisors?
- How often does conflict occur when it comes to advisor advice and decisions facing a startup?
- If an advisor and entrepreneur's relationship isn't working what’s the best course of action?
- Does it make sense to have an advisor from a company that you work with for example a retailer or supplier?