Reston, Va. (September 16, 2011) — Estimated at $700 billion, the global beverage industry has grown 7.1% in 2011 (Source: PMMI’s Economic Outlook – 2011 3rd Quarterly Report). To address this critical market segment, PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2011 (Sept. 26–28, Las Vegas Convention Center) is collaborating with both the International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) and the International Society of Beverage Technologists (ISBT) to provide industry-specific education opportunities at the show.
“From sustainability to evolving food safety regulations, today’s beverage industry professionals are faced with more challenges across the supply chain than ever before,” said Charles D. Yuska, president & CEO, PMMI. “By partnering with leading beverage associations, PACK EXPO Las Vegas will make it easy for attendees to find total systems solutions and answers to their packaging and processing questions in one stop.”
Following is a summary of activities that beverage industry professionals can expect to find in and around the Las Vegas Convention Center:
- IBWA’s Annual Business Conference will be held at the MGM Hotel from Sept. 26-30. Education sessions will be held from Sept. 27-29, with the tabletop exhibits open from 1:15pm – 6:00pm on Sept. 28. All IBWA Convention registrants will receive complimentary registration to the PACK EXPO Las Vegas exhibits. Shuttle buses will run between the MGM Grand and the Las Vegas Convention Center.
- ISBT will present sessions focused on beverage processing and packaging as part of the Conference at PACK EXPO. ISBT’s track for the Conference at PACK EXPO includes:
Monday, September 26:
- Session Time: 9:00 – 10:00am
Session Number: M17
Title: Introduction to Beverage Packaging
Summary: This session will introduce attendees to the world of packaging, covering domestic and international terminology, key performance criteria and recommendations based on best practices and standards for handling and distribution.
Speaker: John Postiglione, National Accounts Manager, Energy Saving Projects, Spirax Sarco
- Session Time: 10:15 – 11:15am
Session Number: M18
Title: Stress Crack Prevention
Summary: PET makes up more than half of the packaging mix for soft drinks, and when it was introduced in 1977, stress crack failures were common. Since then, much has been learned about how to maximize bottle performance –– but stress cracks have not been entirely eradicated. The ISBT has made significant gains in the understanding and reduction of stress crack issues. In this session, attendees will review the environmental stress crack process, outline the risk factors for stress cracking and provide recommendations bottlers can implement to minimize the risk.
Speaker: Sally Potter, Manager, Package Governance, Coca-Cola
Tuesday, September 27
- Session Time: 12:45 – 1:45pm
Session Number: T19
Title: Introduction to Beverage Processing
Summary: In this introduction, the Beverage Processing Technical Committee will present fundamentals of beverage processing, reviewing the process: functions, options and some definitions. Also on the agenda are handling of major raw materials for beverages such as water pre-treatment and purification, HFCS and sucrose receiving and storage and super sack unloading & liquefaction. Participants will also learn basics of pasteurization and ingredients blending.
Speaker: Suneet Khanna, Engineering Manager, Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.
[Editors, please note: The complete Conference at PACK EXPO schedule is available at packexpo.com. The listings above are current as of September 14, 2011, but are subject to change.]
Conference registration is available online at Packexpo.com, at a cost of $125/session. Conference registrants must also register for admission to the PACK EXPO show floor.
Following are just a few of the resources beverage industry professionals may take advantage of at PACK EXPO Las Vegas:
- The Processing Zone is a special area of the show floor featuring front-of-the-line solutions for the food and beverage sectors. Additional processing technologies will be found throughout the Las Vegas Convention Center.
- The Food Safety Summit Resource Center will also reside in The Processing Zone, providing attendees with an opportunity to discuss challenges and potential solutions with industry experts.
- The sold-out Brand Zone will focus on the latest container and material innovations that respond to consumer demands for convenience, portion control, sustainability and more. As part of The Brand Zone, Material ConneXion® will have a dynamic, interactive materials display to introduce new ideas, showcase emerging trends and demonstrate the essential link between material innovation and design.
PMMI is a trade association of 560-plus member companies that manufacture packaging, processing and related converting machinery in the United States or Canada; machinery components and packaging containers and materials. PMMI’s vision is to be the leading global resource for packaging, and its mission is to improve and promote members’ abilities to meet the needs of their customers.
PMMI organizes the PACK EXPO trade shows: PACK EXPO International, PACK EXPO Las Vegas and EXPO PACK México, connecting participants in the packaging and processing supply chain with their customers around the world. Coming Up: PACK EXPO Las Vegas at the Las Vegas Convention Center Sept. 26–28, 2011.