PURCHASE, NY, March 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Starting March 26, cola lovers everywhere will be invited to get a first taste of new Pepsi NEXT, a game-changer in the cola category and the first to deliver real cola taste with 60% less sugar than Pepsi-Cola.
“We’re on a mission to get consumers to experience the real cola taste of Pepsi NEXT for themselves,” said Angelique Krembs, Vice President TM Pepsi Marketing. “We’re excited that after years of research and development, we’ve unlocked the great taste of Pepsi NEXT, the choice for consumers who want real cola taste with less sugar.”
Research has shown that there is a segment of consumers who are resistant to both regular, full-sugar cola and diet cola offerings. These consumers love the taste of Pepsi but they don’t believe you can achieve full-flavor taste with a diet cola. The launch of Pepsi NEXT is intended to fulfill this unmet need in the category.
Pepsi NEXT is crafted from the right mix of cola flavor and a blend of sweeteners to closely mimic the taste curve of a regular cola. By unlocking the real cola taste consumers expect from Pepsi, with 60% less sugar, Pepsi NEXT is an unmatched proposition in the marketplace and what cola lovers have been waiting for.
To give consumers their first taste of Pepsi NEXT, the product launch will include:
- A Walmart sampling program hitting 800 Walmart Supercenter stores across the country, beginning March 26 through the end of April. Consumers can visit facebook.com/pepsinext to find the nearest Walmart store for their risk-free trial of Pepsi NEXT.
- In-market sampling for consumers to try Pepsi NEXT for free across 40+ cities nationwide between the end of March and August 2012.
- A TV ad spot, created by TBWA/Chiat/Day, featuring an excited young couple recording their first interaction with Pepsi NEXT, meanwhile missing the “unbelievable acts” of their baby in the background, from dancing to handstands. This 30-second spot will begin airing nationwide on March 26 on prime-time and cable networks, and will be complemented with online and radio advertising.
- A digital application on facebook.com/pepsinext inviting users to “taste” Pepsi NEXT online.
- Fans who opt-in and are selected can watch themselves “taste” new Pepsi NEXT with the “Improv You” Internet Taste Test, leveraging the power of improv and Funny or Die comedians to create videos of fans tasting Pepsi NEXT for the first time.
- Multi-city PR events in which a few famous faces will surprise lucky fans with their first sip of Pepsi NEXT.
- Targeted and relevant Hispanic advertising and grassroots marketing.
Pepsi NEXT will be available nationwide on March 26. Come experience Pepsi NEXT by visiting facebook.com/pepsinext and share your “Drink it to Believe it” experience with @PepsiNEXT.
PepsiCo is a global food and beverage leader with net revenues of more than $65 billion and a product portfolio that includes 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in annual retail sales. Our main businesses – Quaker, Tropicana, Gatorade, Frito-Lay and Pepsi-Cola – make hundreds of enjoyable foods and beverages that are loved throughout the world. PepsiCo’s people are united by our unique commitment to sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for people and our planet, which we believe also means a more successful future for PepsiCo. We call this commitment Performance with Purpose: PepsiCo’s promise to provide a wide range of foods and beverages for local tastes; to find innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment by conserving energy and water and reducing packaging volume; to provide a great workplace for our associates; and to respect, support and invest in the local communities where we operate. For more information, please visit www.pepsico.com.