Law, Policy and Advocacy
• Officials with the beverage industry warned that bottled water may not be restocked on grocer’s shelves unless the June 1 effective date of a new bottle-deposit law is postponed. Link Yuengling is also threatening to pull its beer out of New York in response to a provision of the law that requires all bottled products sold in the state to carry a New York-specific UPC code for bottle deposit and redemption purposes. Link
• New York state legislators moved closer to passing a bill that would phase out BPA from children’s products and some reusable containers. Link
• The Center for Science in the Public Interest plans to propose a federal excise tax on soda and other sugared beverages, the Wall Street Journal reported. The tax would not include most diet beverages. Link
• The New York Association of Convenience Stores has added a “Bottle Bill Briefing” to the line-up for its Trade Show & Convention this week in Syracuse NY.
• InBev is brewing controversy due to its decision to delay its payment of bills by up to four months. Link
• Coca-Cola is set to abandon any attempt to take over China’s Huiyuan Juice Group, according to China Daily. Link
• In a statement released to the Dallas Business Journal, The Pepsi Bottling Group said: “PepsiCo has filed a lawsuit that is entirely without merit in an attempt to divert attention from its grossly inadequate proposal.” Link
• Coca-Cola Enterprises will webcast a presentation to analysts and investors on Thursday, May 14 at 4:10 p.m. ET. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John F. Brock will make the presentation at the Goldman Sachs Consumer Products Symposium. The public can access the live webcast through the Company’s web site at www.cokecce.com.
• Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc., announced that Larry Young, president and CEO, will present at the Goldman Sachs Consumer Products Symposium 2009 at 9:15 a.m. (EDT) on Thursday, May 14.
• The Coca-Cola Company announced that Glenn Jordan, President of the Company’s Pacific Group, will participate in the Goldman Sachs Consumer Products Symposium. The Company invites investors to listen to the live audiocast of the conference call at its website, www.thecoca-colacompany.com. A replay in downloadable MP3 format will also be available within 24 hours after the audiocast on the Company’s website.
• Brandweek published an interview with PepsiCo‘s social media marketer, Bonin Bough. Link
• Boulder’s Daily Camera published a profile of mix1 beverage company. Link
• O.C. Beverages, Inc. has completed several focus group tests to identify flavors for the company’s new Super Anti-Oxidant Water that includes glutathione, selenium and vitamins B, C, D and E. Link
• The Chicago Tribune performed a comparative review of Pepsi, Pepsi Throwback and Pepsi Natural. Link
• A pilot hit a pelican during the Red Bull Air Race in San Diego. Link
• Big Red gave an update on Big Blue. Link
• Papa Gino’s Holding Corp., which operates the Papa Gino’s Pizzeria and D’Angelo Grilled Sandwiches chains, announced a multi-year beverage contract with the Coca-Cola Co. Link
• WheyUP signed a distribution deal with SPIKE Beverage, LLC in Arizona. Link
• The Currant Company is launching five additional black currant based nectars. Link
• DESIGNER WHEY announced the release of its 16 oz. PROTEIN WATER. Link
• Gosling’s Rum joined Polar Beverages of Massachusetts to create, package and distribute a new ginger beer. Link
• SoBe believes it might be the first advertiser to promote its Twitter account at the end of a TV commercial. Link
• Potencia USA LLC, Potencia Energy Drink in Alliance with Bebida Beverages Company hydrated some of the 1 million visitors to this year’s 116st festival in Manhattan in New York City.
• O.N.E. founder Rodrigo Veloso and President Emilie Veloso appeared on Fox Business. Link O.N.E also appeared in an Saturday Night Live sketch. Link
• Potencia USA LLC’s Potencia Energy Drink, in alliance with Bebida Beverages Company, announced their sponsorship of Dillon Oliver, as he takes to the race track with the ASA Late Model Challenge Series. Link
• owater introduced a new campaign featuring professional and amateur athletes from around the U.S. Their stories and illustrated images will appear on owater labels, on owater.com and in the company’s advertising. Link