One day seminar/boot camp and networking event in Chicago on June 28, 2012. Learn from and meet VCs (2X Consumer Growth Partners; White Road Investments); Corporate Investors (General Mills Ventures; The Hershey Company); Debt Sources (K2 Group) and Companies that have successfully raised capital (Enjoy Life Foods & GoPicnic).
June 28, 2012; 9am-4:30pm; Chicago, IL — To Register for the event, click here.
The comprehensive seminar presents expert speakers that will provide entrepreneurs and executives an in-depth understanding of what it takes to raise capital. Led by industry veterans Bob Burke from The Natural Products Consulting Institute & Michael Burgmaier from Silverwood Partners, the seminar de-mystifies capital-raising terms and provides insights to improve your odds to successfully obtaining the financing you need.
• Determining my financing needs?
• What is the best source of capital to align with my needs?
• What’s the game plan for my business and my time horizon?
• Finding early-stage capital:
o Friends & Family
o Angel Investors/Groups
o What terms should I expect?
• Demystifying valuation
o Understanding equity
o What matters/what doesn’t?
• Crowd Funding & IPOS: An option?
• Understanding cash flow
• Venture Capital Financing
o Who do I approach? And how?
o Anatomy of a term sheet
o What to expect: Working with a VC
o Control, veto rights, dilution
• Other Private Equity…
• Do I go alone or get professional help?
o Role of the investment banker
o Terms, fees
• Materials (business plan, sample presentation, financials)
• Creating value
o Brand Building
o Building out the team
• Positioning for exit
• Strategic buyer or financial buyer
Additional Expert Speakers:
- Andrew Whitman: Managing Partner, 2x Consumer Product Growth Partners (funded Beanitos, gDiapers, Orabrush, Tasty Bite and more)
- Gregg Bagni, Director, White Road Investments (Clif Bar) – investors in Guayaki, Wild Planet, Big Tree Farms, Honest Kitchen, Manitoba Harvest and Public Bikes
- Neil Kimberley: Director of Global Innovation Strategy, The Hershey Company; former strategy roles with Cadbury Schweppes and Dr Pepper Snapple
- Amol Dixit: Manager, General Mills Ventures, the company’s new corporate venture capital fund.
- Keith Kohler: President, The K2 Group, LLC (debt financing options)
- Ryan Caldbeck: Founder and CEO of CircleUp, a crowdfunding platform for consumer companies. Previously, spent 7 years in consumer private equity at Encore Consumer and TSG Consumer Partners
Entrepreneurs Who Have Successfully Raised Capital
- Scott Mandell: CEO and Founder, Enjoy Life Foods
- Julia Stamberger: CEO and Founder, GoPicnic
is co-author of The Natural Products Field Manual and The Sales Manager’s Handbook. He is a consultant in the natural and specialty products industry since 1998 and former VP of Sales and Corporate Development at Stonyfield Farm. He has prepared numerous business plans, assisted in fund raising, advised clients on growth and exit strategies and has helped a number of companies reach a successful exit. He serves on the board of directors of FoodState, EcoFish, Nutrabella and American Halal. He has an MBA from Babson College. For more info, please see: www.NaturalConsulting.com
Michael Burgmaier is an investment banker with Silverwood Partners where he leads M&A and private placement transactions in the consumer product space, and a former venture capital investor in the food & beverage/consumer products sectors, where he helped lead five deals in the space. He has raised capital for numerous companies, helped facilitate successful exits, written business plans, prepared fundraising materials, has served on boards of venture-backed companies and write and speaks frequently on raising capital and selling companies. He has an MBA from the Tuck School at Dartmouth. Contact him at email@example.com
Comments from previous seminar attendees:
“I thought I knew a lot about funding, but this really helped me understand the lay of the land” – CEO, Food Co.
“Great day – touched on a lot of issues without spending too much time on specific issues perhaps alienating part of the audience” – CEO, Consumer Product Co.
“Excellent. Well divided without significant overlap” – President, Natural Product Co.
“ I just wanted to drop you both a line to tell you how much I enjoyed last week’s event. The information was fantastic and now that I am going through the disk, it keeps getting better…” — CEO, Food Company
Sponsors include: Bright Design, Perkins Coie, Volkman Group, Rachel Kay Public Relations, Nutrition Capital Network, Silverwood Partners, Buyer’s Best Friend, MEI Trade Insight