CINCINNATI, July 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Sunny Delight Beverages Co. (SDBC) today released its annual Sustainability Report detailing its sustainability goals and progress, including sustaining zero waste to landfill for the fifth consecutive year.
“Achieving zero waste to landfill was difficult, but even more challenging is maintaining zero waste to landfill,” said Ellen Iobst, chief sustainability officer and senior vice president, supply chain. “This accomplishment requires creativity, innovation and tenacity from people who are passionate about environmental stewardship. We are proud of our workforce’s efforts to maximize our impact while minimizing our footprint.”
Additional achievements from SDBC’s triple bottom line approach to sustainability–economic performance, environmental stewardship and social responsibility–include:
- Reduced average number of calories per serving of our juice-based beverages from 92 in 2007 to 49 today—a 47% reduction.
- Reduced packaging materials by 48 million pounds since 2005, nearly doubling goal of 25 million pounds by 2015.
- Reduced total water usage by 23% from baseline.
- Reduced total energy usage by 30% from baseline.
- Reduced total carbon (metric tons) by 19% from baseline.
- Contributed nearly $554K in monetary and product donations to national and local organizations.
- SDBC’s partnership with Keep Cincinnati Beautiful has resulted in the Cincinnati Public Schools diverting more than 700 tons of waste from landfills to date.
About Sunny Delight Beverages Co.
Sunny Delight Beverages Co. (SDBC) is a leading producer, distributor and marketer of juices, juice drinks and flavored waters in North America. Its brands include the market leading SunnyD juice drink, Veryfine juices and drinks, and Fruit2O flavored and sparkling flavored waters. The company operates five plants across the U.S. that service both refrigerated and shelf stable distribution systems and supply a wide range of customers in the grocery, club, mass merchandise, convenience, dollar and drug channels. SDBC is owned by J.W. Childs Associates.