- ABA’s calorie labeling plan earns critic kudos – The American Beverage Association announced plans Tuesday to simplify calorie information and make it more accessible, attracting the praise of one of its most vocal critics. Link
- Save the Date: BevNET Live Returns to NYC June 7 + 8 – Building on the success of our two sold out events in 2009, we’re bringing you a two day program at the W NEW YORK that will feature our “Beverage School” format on June 7 and BevNET Live on June 8. Link
- Snow Beverages announced the company closed a second round of angel financing, securing $650,000. The new funding will enable the company to support the marketing of their line of Natural Soda + Vitamins. Link
ON THE SHELVES
- Old Orchard Brands introduced a gallon bottle for seven of its most popular flavors. Each bottle contains 16 eight oz. servings, has a suggested retail of $3.49 and is available at grocery and club stores across the United States. Link
- TeaZazz Sparkling Tea announced the launch of TeaZazz NaturalZ Sparkling Wasabi Green Tea beverages in Paw Paw Fruit, Red Plum and Ginger Mint flavors. Link
- Motovate Inc. launched Energy Catalyst, an all-natural, zero-calorie, pocket portable, energy concentrate that can be added to other beverages without changing the flavor.
- Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air will again serve beverages from The Coca-Cola Co., Inc. onboard all flights starting March 1. Both airlines had begun serving beverages from Jones Soda Co. in April 2008. Link
- ALLDAY ENERGY announced that its products is now available nationwide with Bally Total Fitness and Bodybuilding.com.
- Native Waters announced it is now a preferred provider of bottled water at The Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). Link
- EQ Labs, Inc. announced a distribution agreement with Liberty Distribution Company, LLC in Chandler, Ariz. Link
- XYIENCE announced a new partnership with Silver Eagle Distributors in Texas. Link
- Dajomi Brands, LLC announced distribution for NOHO with Alford Distributing and Elyxir Distributing in California. Link
- Bella Voda USA Inc. announced a distribution partnership with Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of New Haven, Mo. Link
- BRANDCO announced that it has acquired the distribution rights for Waiwera Artesian Water in the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean. BRANDCO’s initial U.S. expansion plans for Waiwera will focus on California and Hawaii, followed by a nationwide rollout during 2010 to 2011. Link
- The Dad’s Root Beer Company, LLC announced distribution with N.H. Scheppers Distributing Company of Jefferson City, Mo. Link
IN THE COURTS
- Rockstar Inc. filed suit in U.S. District Court alleging trademark infringement against New York energy drink company RapStar360. Link
LAW, POLICY, AND ADVOCACY
- Metro Vancouver started a campaign to encourage Olympic tourists to drink the region’s tap water instead bottled water, creating a potential conflict with major sponsor The Coca-Cola Co., Inc. Link
- New York Gov. David Paterson’s proposed one-cent per oz. tax of sugared beverages has gained more headway than a proposed 18-percent retail surcharge that was killed last year, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Link
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- The Coca-Cola Co., Inc. revealed its plans for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. The company will showcase an on-site experience along with an award program recognizing Canadians who “Live Positively.” Link
- The Coca-Cola Co. Inc. is launching Family Track Walks, a program in which NASCAR fans can walk the first lap of the day alongside race drivers. Link
- XYIENCE announced that UFC fighter Dan “The Outlaw” Hardy has joined its team of brand ambassadors.
- The Coca-Cola Co., Inc. will debut a new commercial during the DAYTONA 500 in which some of the sport’s top drivers will show off their singing abilities. Link
- The Coca-Cola Co., Inc. will host its spring break destination Coca-Cola Beach at the Isla Grand Beach Resort in South Texas for the 16th straight year. Link
- Sprite launched a global integrated marketing campaign, The Spark, which includes TV commercials, an online interactive music mixer featuring content from GRAMMY nominee Drake and a digital film mixer to enable teens to display their originality. Link
- Tonino Lamborghini Energy Drink held its Miami launch party at Club 50 Thursday. Link
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- The World Health Organization issued a study that suggests that consumers across the globe may be suffering an increase in cardiovascular disease due to a magnesium deficiency in drinking water. Link
- A clinical study by the chair of the Department of Health and Exercise Science at the College of New Jersey has shown that Sustamine L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine increases performance in endurance exercise. The study was published Feb. 3 in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. Link
IN THE MEDIA
- PepsiCo, Inc. missed an opportunity by not promoting its “Refresh Everything” campaign during the Super Bowl, according to Forbes writer Jeremiah Owyang. Link
- The Atlanta Journal Constitution published an article placing The Coca-Cola Co., Inc.‘s green efforts at the Vancouver Olympics in the context of critics’ responses to the company’s past environmental initiatives. Link
- Red Bull, which sponsors skiier Lindsey Vonn and snowboarder Shaun White, seems to be the winner when it comes to athlete sponsorships at this year’s winter Olympics, Fast Company reports. Red Bull will fare better still if Vonn can overcome her injuries to compete. Link
- A Denver-area doctor told Colorado’s ABC affiliate that acidic bottled waters could cause heartburn or gout. Link
- PepsiCo, Inc. announced that The Pepsi Bottling Group, Inc. and PepsiAmericas, Inc. stockholders who wish to receive cash for their shares of PBG or PAS stock in connection with the proposed acquisitions by PepsiCo must deliver a properly completed cash election form to Mellon Investor Services LLC by 5:00 p.m. EST Feb. 18. Link
- Coca-Cola Enterprises reported full-year 2009 net income of $731 million. Excluding certain items, the company achieved net income of $788 million. Link
- PepsiAmericas, Inc. announced that its Board of Directors declared a first quarter 2010 dividend of $0.14 per share on PepsiAmericas common stock. The dividend is payable April 1, 2010 to shareholders of record on March 5, 2010. The board reviews the dividend policy on a quarterly basis.
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Inc. announced that Larry Young, president and CEO, will present at the Consumer Analyst Group of New York Conference in Boca Raton, Fla., at 1:45 p.m. EST on Wednesday, Feb. 17. The audio and slide presentation will be accessible live through the DPS website at http://www.drpeppersnapple.com and will be archived for replay for a period of 14 days.
- PepsiCo, Inc. reported results for 2009. For the full year, reported earnings per share grew 17 percent to $3.77. For the fourth quarter, reported EPS was $0.90. Link
- Coca-Cola Enterprises announced that it plans to raise prices by 2-3 percent in the U.S. after volumes fell in 2009. Link
- Cott Corporation announced that the Company will release its fourth quarter and full year 2009 financial results before the markets open on Wednesday, Feb. 24. Link
- PepsiCo Inc. announced a share buyback when it issued fourth-quarter results, and Forbes reports that such programs are becoming common among large, cash-flow-positive companies. Link
- PepsiAmericas, Inc. reported full year 2009 net income of $181.2 million. These results compare to full year 2008 reported net income of $226.4 million. Link
- Over the next four weeks, BSN will be sending a total of 11,000 cases (132,000 bottles) of its ready-to-drink high-protein beverage SYNTHA-6 RTD to the people of Haiti. Link
- My Coke Rewards selected Napster as the loyalty program’s primary music partner.
- Flavor & Fragrance Specialties announced the addition of Paul Riker as Product Development Applications Specialist. Riker previously served as Manager of the Beverage Technology Platform at KERRY Ingredients and Flavours.
- PepsiCo Inc. is extending the workday for some of its employees without an increase in pay. Pay will be divided by 40 hours instead of 36.25. The change affects 300 of the nearly 2,000 PepsiCo workers in Westchester and 3,500 workers nationwide. Link
- vitaminwater debuted a new commercial featuring basketball player Steve Nash, which the commercial dubs “the most ridiculous man in the world.” Link