- Anheuser-Busch and PepsiCo have agreed to jointly purchase certain indirect goods and services in the United States and used primarily for their U.S. operations. Link That cooperation has lead industry watchers to speculate that the two firms will cooperate more deeply in the future, or possibly even merge. Link
- BevNET.com and BevForce have partnered to bring you the “2009 State of the Industry” Survey. Link
- BevNET announced that Michael Kirban, Co-Founder and CEO of Vita Coco All-Market, has joined the “State of the Market” panel that kicks off the upcoming BevNET Live conference in Santa Monica, CA on Dec. 8. Link
- The Coca-Cola Co. introduced a new 90-calorie sleek mini can. Link
- BevNET Live: Early Registration Extended until Sunday – BevNET has extended EARLY REGISTRATION until SUNDAY, OCTOBER 18th to accommodate requests. Space is limited. Link
ON THE SHELVES
- A new beverage called Lady Drink claims to relieve PMS and improve women’s health. Link
- Old Orchard Brands announced a line of cherry juices called Very Cherre. Link
- Hansen Beverage Company launched its first set of 100 percent all-natural diet soda, Blue Sky Free. Blue Sky Free is offered in five different calorie and caffeine free flavors. Link
- Shadow Beverages and Snacks has partnered with Ironclad Performance Wear Corporation to introduce Ironclad Energy & Hydration. Link
- ITO EN launched Mate Sencha Shot. Link
- Sweet Leaf Tea Company launched a new line of 16 oz. aluminum cans available in six flavors. The new offerings include four classic Sweet Leaf Tea flavors and two new flavors. Link
- Summit Spring bottled water company announced the release of RAW WATER, a spring water bottled directly from the source without any filtration, treatment, pumps or boreholes used in the process whatsoever. Link
- Innovative Beverage Group Holdings, Inc. announced that the company has entered into an agreement with Bluff City Distributors of Natchez, MS to bring drank to 13 counties in South Central Mississippi. Link
- Bebida Beverages Company in association with Potencia USA LLC announced that Southeast Beverage Distributing of China Grove, NC will distribute Koma Unwind. Link
- Sick Tea announced a new distribution agreement with Aloha Beverage Distributor located in Elgin, IL.
- The University of Minnesota discontinued its contract with Red Bull after Red Bull repeatedly breached its purchasing agreement by marketing the drink on campus, mndaily.com reported. Link
- Caballo Negro Energy announced it has finalized a beverage distribution agreement with Mussetter Distributing, Inc. of Auburn, California. Link
IN THE COURTS
- Matt Nadeau, the owner of a Vermont brewery being sued by Hansen Beverage Co. for brewing a beer called “Vermonster,” has called on the public to help him fight the suit via public outcry. “This is just about principle,” Nadeau told the AP. “Corporate America can’t be allowed to do this, in this day and age. It’s just not right.” (Video in link) Link
- In addition to harassing the Vermont brewer, a law firm working for Hansen Beverage Co. has reportedly ordered BevReview.com to remove any advertisement and sale of Monster Energy drinks from its site. BevReview hasn’t advertised Monster. It has only reviewed the drink — albeit unfavorably. Link
LAW, POLICY, AND ADVOCACY
- Calif. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill in his state that would have increased bottle deposits from 5 cents to 10 cents and extended deposits to 20 oz. containers. Link
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- IZZE Beverage Company announced the launch of its “You’ll Love What’s Inside” campaign, complete with print ads and an online promotion. The new campaign highlights IZZE’s all-natural sparkling juices and provides consumers with the opportunity to interact with the brand.
- vitaminwater has decided the winner of its Facebook-based vote on its next flavor. black-cherry lime will be available March 2010, with a functional blend including vitamin A and zinc as well as caffeine. Fans will now design and vote on the flavor’s package design. Link
- Mary Jane’s Soda Inc. announced a partnership with Bloomingdale’s for one of the “The Biggest Makeover in NYC” events at the 59th street landmark department store in New York City. Link
- Red Bull has hidden entire cases of Red Bull Energy Shots around the country. To find them, you simply enter your zipcode to receive geo-targeted clues that lead you to the nearest stash.
- WAVE Energy Drink has signed on to sponsor Tommy Baldwin Racing’s No. 36 Toyota for the rest of the season. Link
- vitaminwater has partnered with six Canadian Olympic athletes, pairing each one with an existing flavor. The copy on the bottle has been revised to reflect their personalities, the Games and the fans. The Olympic rings will also appear on the label. Link
- Red Bull announced its 2010 Red Bull: New Year. No Limits. event to be broadcast line on New Year’s Eve on ESPN. Link
- The International Bottled Water Association‘s consumer website www.bottledwatermatters.com has produced a new, two-minute video, entitled “I Am Bottled Water” which highlights the key role of small family-run businesses in producing bottled water. Link
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- A new study suggests that people who get much of their daily liquid intake from plain water rather than other beverages may have healthier diets overall. Link
- Drinking five cups of green tea per day may lower your risk of developing certain blood cancers, according to a study from Japan. Link
- A compelling case can be made for the need to reduce consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages, according to a health policy report entitled “The Public Health and Economic Benefits of Taxing Sugar-Sweetened Beverages” in the New England Journal of Medicine. Link
- Carbon dioxide in soda tastes sour to your tongue, thanks to an enzyme that converts CO2 into protons that sour-sensing cells can detect, according to a new study in mice, published in the journal Science. Link
- A number of traditional Chinese herbs may help control blood sugar levels in people at high risk of diabetes, a new research review suggests. Link
IN THE MEDIA
- Dr Pepper Snapple Group is experiencing a surprising renaissance, BusinessWeek reports. Link
- PepsiAmericas, Inc. announced that its third quarter 2009 earnings conference call will be webcast live over the internet on Wednesday, October 28 at 10 a.m. CDT. PepsiAmericas will issue its financial results before the market opens that morning. The live webcast and a copy of the company’s earnings release will be accessible at PepsiAmericas’ website at www.pepsiamericas.com. A replay of the conference call will be available at this site later that day. The company also announced that its Board of Directors declared a fourth quarter 2009 dividend of $0.14 per share on PepsiAmericas common stock. The dividend is payable January 4, 2010 to shareholders of record on December 15, 2009. The board reviews the dividend policy on a quarterly basis.
- Independent Chicago ad agency Schafer Condon Carter recently sold its Hogwash brand of children’s beverages to an unnamed “major bottling operation.” Link
- Pepsi Bottling Ventures, LLC announced that it has signed a Letter of Intent to purchase the assets of Pepsi Cola Bottling Company of Conway-Myrtle Beach, Inc. The terms of the LOI provide for a closing by the end of December 2009. Link
- Frutarom Industries Ltd. announced the launch of new branding for its activities in 46 locations worldwide. Link
- Royal DSM N.V. announced today that the DSM Nutrition Award 2009 for research on Human Nutrition has been granted jointly to Professor Michael F. Holick of Boston University, USA, and Professor Heike A. Bischoff-Ferrari of the University of Zurich, Switzerland, in recognition of their seminal contributions to research on vitamin D and its role in human nutrition and health.
- The Coca-Cola Co. said it has opened a 600 million yuan ($88 million) bottling plant in China, its largest single investment in still beverage production in that country. Link
- PepsiCo Canada released Aquafina Plus Vitamins 10 Cal, a low-calorie vitamin-enhanced water sweetened with PureVia. Link
- Lawyers acting for Gillette are trying to stop a Czech company from importing its + Duracell Energy Drink, which borrows the shape and distinctive copper and black branding from the battery. Link
TOOTING THEIR HORN
- ZICO Beverages, LLC. announced that it is has become the leading brand in the fast-growing coconut water category, according to SPINSscan Natural, a provider of retail measurement services for the natural and conventional retail channels.
- Skinny Nutritional Corp. announced that President and CEO Ron Wilson will be a keynote speaker at the 6th Annual Bottled Water Congress in Istanbul, Turkey (November 10-12th, 2009). Link
- Power Trip Beverages announced that it hired Paul Leeson as its new Southeast Sales Director. Leeson had previously served as Southeast Sales Director for On/Off Premise for Rockstar, Inc. and as On-Premise Manager for Hansen Beverages’ Monster Energy.
- National Beverage Corp. has elected Stanley Sheridan to serve as a member of its Board of Directors. Sheridan’s experience includes management positions at BASF, Kraft Foods and Arvin Industries. Link
- PepsiCo has apologized for releasing a free iPhone application crafted to help men seduce women and keep records of conquests. Link Here is a taste of what it looks like. Link
- Anheuser-Busch is backing the launch of Bud Light Golden Wheat by buying ALL of the commercial air time for this weekend’s broadcast of “Saturday Night Live.” Link