- Reporter’s notebook: CytoSport, VPX, Labrada trademarks – With nutritional companies are becoming a force in the beverage industry, we took a look at recent U.S. Trademark Office filings. Link
- A two-year analysis of 685 grocery and pharmacy-stocked brands, using data from 32 million consumers’ supermarket loyalty cards, found that in 2008 the average brand lost a third of its formerly highly loyal customers. Link
- Environmental advocates told congress that more than 98 percent of supposedly natural and environmentally friendly products on US supermarket shelves make potentially false or misleading claims. Link
- Twitter: Follow @BevNETcom for new product photos, gossip and additional news.
ON THE SHELVES
- Nuu Rainforest Spring Water launched in the United States with several major distributors already signed for nationwide distribution. Link
- Jones Soda is challenging soda fans, soft drink connoisseurs and curious consumers alike to decipher which four classic Jones flavors comprise its new mystery mixture. Link
- Q Tonic announced that it is now distributed by Union Beer Distributors in New York City and the surrounding counties. Link
- BAWLS Guarana products are now available at Fred Meyer, a prominent retailer in the Northwest. Link
- Innovative Beverage Group Holdings, Inc. announced a partnership with Phoenix, AZ-based Mundo Sales to distribute drank.
- Sweet Leaf Tea is expanding into Houston and San Antonio with Silver Eagle Distributors Link
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- Roaring Lion Energy Drink signed former Red Bull driver Brook Johnson to its racing team. Link
- TeaZazz Sparkling Tea announced it will be a sponsor at the Switchfoot Bro-Am Saturday June 27th at Moonlight Beach, Encinitas CA, the Bro-Am is a charity surf contest and concert utilizing enviro-friendly sound and staging to benefit StandUp For Kids Link
- Sweet Leaf Tea appeared on the Food Network’s “Unwrapped.”
- The Coca-Cola Company announced the launch of the California Dream Home Giveaway sweepstakes. In partnership with Albertsons, Coca-Cola will give consumers who buy select Coca-Cola products at participating Albertsons stores the opportunity to win a brand new home, valued at approximately $250,000. Link
- FIJI Water Refuted Consumer Council findings and reassured its customers that no material harmful to public health has ever been detected in FIJI Water. Link
IN THE MEDIA
- The Orlando Sentinel published an article on the conflict over bottled water taken from public sources in Florida. Link
- Florida’s Ponte Vedra Recorder published an article about drank that declared the anti-energy drink “Weed in a can.” Link
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- A U.K. study published in the journal BMC Public Health concluded that consumers buy bottled water for convenience, not health. Link
- Active compounds in green tea may slow down the progression of prostate cancer, researchers reported. Link
- PepsiCo has been approved as a member of Ceres’ corporate network. As a Ceres member, PepsiCo will be part of a coalition of investors, environmental groups and public interest organizations working with companies to address sustainability challenges such as global climate change. Link
- Pepsi is planning an ultra-cheap soft drink that will aid fight against anemia in women in rural India. Link
- Tetra Pak has responded to Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez’s threat to ignore international patents and counterfeit its packaging by seeking immediate talks with the Venezuelan government. Link
- India’s FDA launched prosecution against Red Bull and Fighter Energy Drink for defying a caffeine law.
TOOTING THEIR HORN
- Christina Staalstrom – COO of BAWLS Guarana – has been named one of South Florida’s “40 Under 40.” An Annual initiative hosted by the South Florida Business Journal, the “40 Under 40” honors the top young professionals in the region based on their career accomplishments and community involvement.
- Pregis Corp. was recently named Vendor of the Year by the Packaging Distributors of America.
- After 12 years the 42-foot-tall Coca-Cola Contour bottle at the Atlanta Braves’ Turner Field will be retired on July 2. A new 21st century version of the classic bottle is slated to hit Turner Field later this summer. Link
- BusinessWeek published a profile of Zico Coconut Water CEO Mark Rampolla’s house for a special report on the housing market.
- Coca-Cola Enterprises will release second-quarter 2009 earnings before the market opens on Wednesday, July 29. A conference call discussing these results will be webcast live over the Internet at 10:00 a.m. ET that morning. A copy of the company’s earnings news release will be available in the Investor Relations section of the company’s Web site (www.cokecce.com) under News Releases. The public can access the live webcast through the company’s Web site at www.cokecce.com.