IRVINE, Calif. — Obrigado, Brazil’s much-loved coconut water, is proud to have been declared a B Corporation brand following years of sustainable practices and a dedication to social responsibility.
The company that built the business on promoting a healthy relationship with the environment, has incorporated these values into the business from day one to become the very first coconut water to be acknowledged for its efforts. Producing 100% pure coconut water that is made from fresh, young, green coconuts, the natural drink is harvested and produced on the brand’s very own sustainable farms in Bahia, Brazil.
Not only has Obrigado integrated sustainable values into everyday operations, it has made sure to focus on three fundamental pillars to ensure that the values are executed through all aspects of the production process.
Protecting the rainforest
- Obrigado’s farms closely nurture hundreds of thousands of the finest Brazilian Green Dwarf trees using the Mosaic Principle to maintain an ecological balance. This sees 70% of its land set aside as an untouchable, natural preserve which maintains the balance for the 30% of the land that Obrigado farms.
- Not only this, to make sure the native animals and birds are not hindered by the activities, Obrigado installed eco-corridors where these animals can live undisturbed and move from one part of the forest to the next.
Caring for the talented farmers
- Supporting the local community in Bahia, the business employs 52 proud Aristas, employing another 220 in other areas of the business. Obrigado makes sure each employee gets 60 hours of training per year to educate them on sustainable farming, irrigation and plant nutrition.
Producing happy and healthy coconuts
- Saving liters of water, Obrigado has built an irrigation system that requires 40 liters instead of the normal 200 liters used industry wide.
- Striving to be a zero-waste company, the raw coconut materials are used to create 10,000,000 biodegradable anti-erosion blankets, with everything else used as fertilizer.
- Obrigado prides itself on its unique patented extraction method, which creates the freshest and purest coconut water possible. The liquid is never exposed to light or air when it leaves the nut, meaning that nothing else is added.
The Obrigado brand is part of the Aurantiaca Group, a company situated in Bahia, Brazil. Other companies within the group are Aurantiaca Agricola (the coconut farms), Frsyk Industrial (the factory) and FibrazTech (the bio-mats producer).
At the end of 2014 Aurantiaca introduced its first consumer coconut brand, Obrigado, in Brazil, with the first product being coconut water. Besides pure coconut water, it produces and sells flavored coconut water (Obrigado Mango Acerola) and Obrigado Coconut Milk (a blend of coconut cream and 100% coconut water), with plans to launch coconut butter and coconut oil products in the future.
Obrigado’s mission is to passionately produce the best coconuts and coconut products in the world. The brand grows, nourishes and harvests all of its coconuts on its various sustainable farms in Bahia, Brazil, using a patented extraction method. It has its own factory right next to the farms, to turn them into all kinds of delicious coconut products for consumers to enjoy.
Apart from caring for its coconuts, Obrigado also cares for the local community. The company started Instituto Gente, a foundation that supports education and cultural projects for the local people of Pedra Grande, a rural community in the municipality of Conde where the farms are located.
Learn more about Obrigado by visiting https://www.obrigado.com/en_us.
About B Corporation
B Corp is to business what Fair Trade certification is to coffee or LEED certification is to green building.
B Corps are certified by the non-profit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.
Today, there is a growing community of more than 1,000 Certified B Corps from 33 countries and over 60 industries working together toward 1 unifying goal: to redefine success in business.
By voluntarily meeting higher standards of transparency, accountability, and performance, Certified B Corps are distinguishing themselves in a cluttered marketplace by offering a positive vision of a better way to do business.
For more information, visit: http://www.bcorporation.net/