August 22, 2011 — The BENEO™ Label Program is continuing to drive business expansion for customers who use it on their products. The program, which began ten years ago as a joint initiative between food manufacturers and BENEO, is designed to communicate the health benefits of BENEO’s Orafti® inulin and oligofructose (prebiotic ingredients), through the use of one easy-to-understand quality label. The label provides a product with a recognizable symbol that indicates to consumers that it contains a sufficient amount of Orafti® inulin or oligofructose to support scientifically proven health and nutritional benefits.
Tim Van der Schraelen, Marketing Communication Manager at BENEO, stated, “Not only are we seeing more and more customers expanding their range of products that carry this popular digestive health label, but new customers are seeing its potential too, with food retailer SPAR introducing the BENEO™ Label to its Slovenian stores this summer.” In addition, the BENEO™ Label is now collaborating with even more dietetic associations, ensuring that this vital group knows the value of promoting digestive health to members across the globe.
BENEO™ Label at SPAR, Slovenia
SPAR, one of Slovenia’s leading food retailers, is launching the functional yogurt LCA, into its stores this summer. The new yogurt, with only 1.3% fat, contains a sufficient amount of BENEO’s inulin and oligofructose to carry the BENEO™ Label. SPAR took steps to include the BENEO™ Label after seeing its success with another Slovenian yogurt produced by Mlekarna Celeia and launched a few years ago.
NEWTREE chocolate spreads expands use of BENEO™ Label
Newtree has expanded its range of chocolate spreads and now has five flavors, all of which carry the BENEO™ Label. The latest flavors in its product line are orange, strawberry and cherry. Combining pleasure and a health message, the Newtree chocolate spreads are prepared with a high-quality chocolate (73% pure chocolate), contain 70% less fat and 40% less calories than other chocolate spreads and contain BENEO’s Orafti®Synergy1 (a patented form of oligofructose-enriched inulin). Newtree distributes these products to a range of food retailers in Benelux, France, Germany, Scandinavia, the UK, Switzerland, Greece, Italy and the United States, as well as sells its products online.
A wealth of product expansions for BENEO™ Label
Many manufacturers that use the BENEO™ Label have expanded their use across their product lines over recent months.
- Fructal has recently launched two new flavors of its Frutabela bar with the BENEO™ Label in Slovenia. Alongside its cereals and red fruits, it contains BENEO’s Orafti® oligofructose.
- Qualidess, Switzerland, has launched the ‘Vital’ desserts, a range of crèmes, mousses and flans which carry the BENEO™ Label. These calorie-reduced, low-cholesterol desserts contain BENEO’s Orafti® inulin and are suitable for diabetics and those who are dieting.
- Buckwheat Healthcare Products (BHP) launched Buckwheat Green Tea in Singapore. The product is proving so popular that the company is expanding its distribution to Malaysia this month. Containing BENEO’s Orafti® inulin, the tea is not only richin anti-oxidants, flavonoids, protein, vitamins and minerals, but fiber as well.
BENEO™ Label collaborates with even more dietetic associations
As well as increasing in popularity across the globe with consumers, the BENEO™ Label is strengthening its collaboration with a wide range of dietetic associations, including:
- The Spanish Association of Dieticians and Nutritionists (www.aedn.es)
- The Swiss Nutrition Society (www.sge-ssn.ch)
- The Flemish Association of Dieticians and Nutritionists (www.vbvd.org)
- The Italian Association of Human Nutrition (www.sinu.it)
In addition, BENEO participates at the following congresses, displaying the latest local products bearing the BENEO™ Label:
- XVIII Congress of the SAN (Argentinean Nutrition Society) (10-12 August, Buenos Aires)
- Nutritionist Congress (31 August – 2 September, Costa Rica)
- Mega Evento de Nutrition in Brasil (6-8 October, São Paulo)
- Spain: V Congress of AED-N (6-8 October, Valladolid)
Tim Van der Schraelen comments: “The fact that our existing customers are choosing to expand the range of products which carry our BENEO™ Label is the best endorsement we could have of its value as a communication tool regarding digestive health. We aim to keep both health professionals and consumers informed on the benefits of using products which carry the BENEO™ Label and are very pleased to be expanding our number of dietetic association contacts to include an even wider range of organizations across the globe.”
The BENEO product portfolio consists of functional ingredients with nutritional and technical advantages, derived from chicory roots, beet sugar, rice and wheat. BENEO is the ideal partner to help improve the health (weight management, energy for mental & physical performance, digestive, bone and dental health), taste, texture and nutritional value (fat and sugar replacement/fibre enrichment) of a product. Through a unique chain of expertise, including the BENEO-Institute, BENEO actively supports (industry partners in) the development of more balanced and healthy food products.
BENEO is a division of the Südzucker Group, employs almost 900 people and has production units in Belgium, Chile, Germany and Italy.