Agreement Highlights New Opportunities for Athletes, Fans and Products
PURCHASE, N.Y. and NEW YORK, Sept. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — PepsiCo Inc. (NYSE: PEP) and the National Football League (NFL) today announced the renewal of their long-term partnership with a new, multi-year agreement to take effect in 2012.
The new agreement builds on the organizations’ 28-year relationship, aligns several of PepsiCo’s brands with the power of the NFL and includes:
- Gatorade will continue its relationship with the League, delivering functional benefits for athletes via the Gatorade G Series along with powerful education programs like “Beat the Heat.”
- Pepsi MAX will continue its relationship with the League as the official soft drink of the NFL, delivering fan-favorite activations both on-air and around the games.
- Frito-Lay will continue its relationship with the League, delivering 360 degree consumer and shopper activation engagement that promotes game-watching occasions like “Crash The Super Bowl.”
- PepsiCo will continue its sponsorship of the NFL International Series.
- Quaker Oats, the category leader in Oats, Rice Cakes and Chewy Granola Bars, will become a new partner of the League next year.
- Tropicana, the leading orange juice in the U.S., will also become a new brand engaged with the NFL in 2012.
- The formation of a joint Innovation Task Force, which will develop new food and beverage concepts for fans as well as sideline innovations and enhancements to health and safety for athletes.
- PepsiCo and the NFL will jointly develop digital fan engagement concepts for millennials and other audiences.
Indra Nooyi, PepsiCo Chairman and CEO, and Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner, will announce the renewal today at an employee event held at PepsiCo’s global headquarters in Purchase, N.Y.
“We love to be at the center of the NFL action and look forward to deepening the NFL’s relationship with athletes and fans through best-in-class marketing, food and beverage innovation and retail experiences,” said Nooyi. “The NFL is a year-round platform allowing us to engage and activate our collective brands in a true Power of One way like never before.”
“We are pleased to expand and extend our long-standing partnership with PepsiCo,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. “We look forward to making our partnership even better to deliver fans more NFL-themed promotions and programs throughout the season and year.”
PepsiCo offers the world’s largest portfolio of billion-dollar food and beverage brands, including 19 different product lines that generate more than $1 billion in annual retail sales each. Our main businesses — Quaker, Tropicana, Gatorade, Frito-Lay, and Pepsi Cola — also make hundreds of other enjoyable foods and beverages that are respected household names throughout the world. With net revenues of approximately $60 billion, PepsiCo’s people are united by our unique commitment to sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for people and our planet, which we believe also means a more successful future for PepsiCo. We call this commitment Performance with Purpose: PepsiCo’s promise to provide a wide range of foods and beverages for local tastes; to find innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment, including by conserving energy and water usage, and reducing packaging volume; to provide a great workplace for our associates; and to respect, support, and invest in the local communities where we operate. For more information, please visit http://www.pepsico.com
About National Football League
The National Football League is America’s most popular sports league, comprised of 32 franchises that compete each year to win the Super Bowl, the world’s biggest annual sporting event. Founded in 1920, the NFL developed the model for the successful modern sports league, including extensive revenue sharing, competitive excellence, strong franchises across the country, and national distribution. The NFL is the industry leader on a wide range of fronts. BusinessWeek magazine calls the NFL “one of America’s best-run businesses.”