BASF sponsors two IFT Nutrition and Food Safety tracks
FLORHAM PARK, NJ, June 20, 2014 — BASF Nutrition & Health will showcase five trends that are transforming consumers’ preferences for foods and beverages at booth 5241 during the 2014 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Food Expo. More than 18,000 of the world’s top food science and technology professionals will meet at the Morial Convention Center in New Orleans on June 21-24.
“As a global leader in providing health and performance ingredients, we keep our pulse on trends and overcome the technical hurdles so our customers don’t have to,” said Ludger Eilers, Business Manager, Nutrition & Health, BASF North America. “We bring value to our customers by taking the guesswork out of what can be a complex nutrition and quality equation. There is tremendous opportunity when you consider that six in ten U.S. adults consume specially formulated functional foods and beverages at least occassionally 1,” Eilers said.
BASF invites formulators and marketers to visit its “Newtrition TM kitchen” at IFT to get ideas for new products or improve existing ones based on these emerging trends:
● Transparency and Choice: BASF helps its customers make it easy for consumers to know exactly what’s inside the product by offering naturally sourced, vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free and allergen-free ingredients. BASF offers choice so customers can select what’s right for them depending on the target audience, finished product, regulatory guidelines and package claims. Attendees can sample our Vita-Aid and learn all about BASF’s various ingredient options.
● Evolving “Meal” Time (Healthy snacking and children’s nutrition) : As the line between meals and snacks continues to fade, BASF adds health without sacrificing taste especially in products for kids. In-booth sampling will include BASF’s “Be Active Bar Plus Omega-3” with omega-3 fish oil and vitamin D3, and a “Graham Cracker Plus DHA” for dipping in a delicious “Chocolate Almond Nut Butter Plus DHA”.
● Fortifying to Win (Sports nutrition): Athletes and sports enthusiasts want convenient and tasty nutrition on-the-go and BASF has extensive formulation and technical know-how to help develop products in the areas of recovery and performance. Attendees can sample BASF’s “Chocolate Recovery Milk with Tonalin ®CLA”. In addition to reducing body fat, Tonalin is a naturally sourced specialty ingredient clinically proven to maintain lean body mass.
● Prescriptive Eating (Condition-specific foods) : BASF works with formulators to create personalized nutritional products that are designed for consumers with specific health conditions. Attendees can toast to good health with BASF’s “Diabetic Friendly Drinkable Yogurt” with plant sterols. Heart health is a top concern among diabetics and plant sterols have been proven to be naturally effective at safely lowering cholesterol levels. Studies show that one to three grams of plant sterols can lower cholesterol up to 15 percent.
● Tantalizing Texture and More for Less (Whipping agents and aerating emulsifiers) : In addition to its health ingredients, BASF’s food performance ingredients offer easy-to-prepare and tasty solutions to enhance the texture and volume of cakes, whipped and frozen desserts, mousses, frosting and more. BASF’s applications team will present a video demonstrating the effectiveness of BASF’s Spongolit ®powder-form emulsifier in improving the texture and appeal of an all-in-one cake mix. Attendees can sample a Swiss chocolate cake roll and experience how Lamequick ® whipping agents deliver aeration and create a creamy smooth mouth feel in a whipped filling.
Application specialists will explain how companies can tailor BASF’s prototypes for their target markets offering guidance from ideation to the store shelf. Specifically, they will offer details on how BASF’s broad portfolio of natural and synthetic ingredients can be customized depending on the application. Attendees can also learn about BASF’s initiative SET – applied sustainability TM and how companies can produce more sustainable consumer goods.
BASF is proud to again sponsor two IFT Scientific Program tracks, “Food Health & Nutrition”, and “Food Safety & Defense,” which will highlight topics of critical importance for today’s food and beverage markets.
For a press photo, please click on the following link:
Suggested photo caption : Consumers and even kids are becoming increasingly interested in spreads with BASF’s healthy ingredients. Learn more at the 2014 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Food Expo.
1 Sloan Top Food Trends April 2014, Food Technology
About Nutrition & Health
BASF’s Nutrition & Health division develops, produces and markets a comprehensive range of products and services for the human and animal nutrition, pharmaceutical as well as flavor and fragrance industries. The division strives to contribute to a better life through improving the nutrition, health and wellbeing of people across the world. Important human nutrition products are vitamins and carotenoids, plant sterols, emulsifiers and omega-3 fatty acids. Its feed additives such as vitamins, carotenoids, enzymes and organic acids make Nutrition & Health a worldwide leader for the animal nutrition market. The division provides the pharmaceutical industry with active ingredients such as caffeine and ibuprofen, as well as excipients and custom synthesis services. Furthermore, it produces aroma ingredients such as citral, geraniol and L-menthol for the flavor and fragrance industry.
BASF – The Chemical Company
BASF Corporation, headquartered in Florham Park, New Jersey, is the North American affiliate of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, Germany. BASF has nearly 17,000 employees in North America, and had sales of $19.3 billion in 2013. For more information about BASF’s North American operations, visit www.basf.us .
BASF is the world’s leading chemical company: The Chemical Company. Its portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future. BASF had sales of about €74 billion in 2013 and over 112,000 employees as of the end of the year. Further information on BASF is available on the Internet at www.basf.com .